Israeli Defense Forces Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Israeli Defense Forces Rifle?

I understand that in their beginning, the IDF used whatever rifles they could get their hands on, including K98 Mausers. Then they used the FN/FAL, among others. At some point they received ship loads of (MAP) M16 's from the U.S. Around the same time they took a few Finnish AK's (Valmet) and made their own Galil that was supposed to be the IDF standard rifle system. For at least the past 5 - 6 years, they've been producing the Tavor and I read that they adopted that as their standard rifle.

My question: Why do we hardly ever see IDF with Galil's or Tavors on TV news? I watch international news maybe a little more than the next guy and 95+% of the time see IDF with M16's. The Galil is around 40 years old now, but very rarely do we see them. I know there are several people here that know lots about the IDF, can you please explain?
    "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Possibly the ones youre seeing are the reserve forces or the conscripts? Tavors may be reserved for the professional soldiers who arent the ones pulling guard duties and patrols.

Comment

• Dan 0351
      Dan 0351 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe, but I'm looking as some high-speed, low-drag looking SWAT-types at this shooting in Tel Aviv on FoxNews - M16 variants and I thought I saw an HK G36.

Special forces may be like the US. Special contracts that meet there needs. A G36 would be more up the alley of such a unit as a opposed to a battle rifle like a Galil or Tavor. I didnt see the clip but that would be my best guess.

Comment

• Dan 0351
      Dan 0351 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, if it's just local LE guys I'd understand. But I'm talking about decades of watching the actual IDF. Hardly any Galils/Tavors.

Interesting use of a Ruger 10/22....
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I spent a lot of time in Isreal working with a lot of police and military units most use M16 M4 variants. I asked a few guys and they all said we get these free from the US. I'm not one to perpetuate stereotypes, but it seems like I've seen more tavors in the US then in Isreal. I guess they take advantage of their "free" guns.

Comment

• HabsFan
        HabsFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Obamaguns?

Basically through military aid, the US sold the M16 to Isreal cheaper than it cost them to produce the Galil, hence it was phased out of the majority of the IDF and is the primary issue rifle. Though the then new Galil was still issued after the 1973 Yom Kippur war, despite getting M16s through aid. FN FAL and AKs were also used during the late 70s when they phased into the M16/variant platform

IDF spec ops still uses Galils and the new Tavors/ micro tavors and has many foreign contracts for the Tavor including a $100M IWI factory in Vietnam.
      Last edited by Destro; 06-08-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
        Interesting use of a Ruger 10/22....
        I read some years ago that they used 10/22's to leg shoot Palestinian rock throwers. Don't know if that's true or not but LE should use the same tactic for rioting rock throwers here.
        "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

• E
          E commented
          Editing a comment
          Also to take out dogs.

• Dan 0351
          Dan 0351 commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw an article with photos of the IDF shooting a rock-thrower in the leg with a silenced AR-7 Survival Rifle. There was actually an AR-7 with Israeli/Hebrew writing and stock number for sale by a long island FFL recently - it was on GunBroker.

Originally posted by C6NY View Post

I read some years ago that they used 10/22's to leg shoot Palestinian rock throwers. Don't know if that's true or not but LE should use the same tactic for rioting rock throwers here.
        Can I like this a million times
        It would be a billion if it said shoot them in the head

Comment

The Tavor is being phased into various combat units such as the paratrooper and northern brigades. What you see on the news are generally the border police or other "internal" units which are still using the AR platform.

Comment

Israel got m16 cheap so the ditch the Galil. The Tavor is used by most of the infantry brigades. A few years ago Kfir was the only infantry brigade using the M4, that might of changed.

Most non infantry units are using the m16. The reason why you mostly see the m16 on TV because it is the homeland and non infantry troops which are being shown. If Israel goes to war and frontline troops are being shown you will see much more Tavors.

Check out videos of of the 2nd Lebanon War and the most recent Gaza war. You will see a bunch of Tavors.
            Last edited by cu455; 06-08-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I love the Euro weapons .... Lol image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
              There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

Thanks gang, I knew I wouldn't wait long for the answer(s).

Comment

Working...
                X