Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Military - Does the Size of the Soldier Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C6NY
    commented on 's reply
    I've yet to visit Arlington but have been talking about it for years now. That a the Smithsonian are on our very short list of long 4 weekend type trips.

• SimpleMan
    replied
    Originally posted by C6NY View Post
    Not a Marine but Soldier Audie Murphy was awarded damn near every US Medal and award in the inventory including the CMOH. He was only 5' 5" and turned down by the USN & USMC before swearing in with the Army.
    Audie Murphy is "like Chuck Norris". He was so bad azz, when it came time to cast him in a movie, Hollywood realized no one other than Audie Murphy, could do the role justice!

I have been to Arlington a couple of times and paid my respect.

Leave a comment:

• C6NY
    replied
    Not a Marine but Soldier Audie Murphy was awarded damn near every US Medal and award in the inventory including the CMOH. He was only 5' 5" and turned down by the USN & USMC before swearing in with the Army.

Leave a comment:

• SimpleMan
    replied
    I forgot to mention that size limitations are sometimes based on uniform considerations.

Leave a comment:

• U.S. Military - Does the Size of the Soldier Matter?

Being that my daughter is interested in joining the Navy, I have been doing research regarding military physical fitness, etc. requirements.

Except for the Marines, the military will reject those males who are less than 60 inches or more than 80 inches tall. They will reject females who are less than 58 inches and more than 80 inches.

The Marines on the other hand limits males to 58 to 78 inches, and females to 58 to 72 inches.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...fmaxweight.htm

I guess smaller is better in many circumstances because of machinery issues, agility, and being a smaller target!

Below is an interesting read.

http://www.usmc.net/how_big_are_marines/

“Does Size Really Matter?”

It’s Mostly Spirit & Determination

When many people think of Marines, they often picture buffed out men standing over six feet tall, and swaggering around like John Wayne. However, other than the basic height requirement, size has absolutely nothing to do with how good or gifted or talented a Marine can be. Ask anyone who’s been to any military training program or special forces training program, and they will tell you that what matters most of all is spirit, mental discipline, determination, and a desire to excel.

Throughout the history of the United States Marine Corps, famous Marines have come in all shapes and sizes. While the majority of Marines are in good physical condition, height has nothing to do with intelligence or the ability to get a job done. Don’t let anyone ever tell you that brawn is more important than brains, because it just doesn’t true.

The average height of military personnel in the United States is anywhere between 5 foot nine and 6 feet tall. The average weight is about 180 pounds, give or take. Does that mean if you are over or under that you will not make a good Marine? Not at all. Averages are just that. Averages.

A United States Marine is more than muscle and sinew. A United States Marine is part of a team, and works together to make another person’s weakness their strength, and vice versa. A United States Marine is not judged on where they tip the scale, but on their ability to perform the task that is given to them.

See also, http://www.military.com/military-fit...h-in-diversity

Working...
X