Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently accounted for. Two more return home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently accounted for. Two more return home.

I have to constantly tip my hat to people at DPAA working to bring home our fallen.
    39 accounted for so far in 2019.
    Two more return this month.
    Welcome home brothers.
    Rest easy.

Browse records in all searchable columnsFirst and Last NameUnitLostLocationAccounted-For that containstart withend withare equal toSearch
    Staff Sgt. Wesley L. Kroenung U.S. Marine Corps Headquarters Company, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Fifth Amphibious Corps (assigned to 2nd Marine Division) 11/20/1943 Tarawa 5/7/2019
    Platoon Sgt. George E. Trotter U.S. Marine Corps Company E, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines, 2nd Marine Division 11/20/1943 Tarawa 5/6/2019

May they now RIP as we Welcome Them Home. 🇺🇸

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
    President T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Comment

Welcome home! RIP

Comment

RIP

Comment

Tarawa?

Comment

welcome back to the USA , may your relatives have peace of mind and may you R I P

Comment

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Ceesman762 View Post
                Tarawa?
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tarawa

Comment

Originally posted by Ceesman762 View Post
                  Tarawa?
                  Tarawa was one of the most costly losses (percentage wise) in a landing for Marines because of poor intelligence of the landing sites.
                  If I remember my USMC history over 1/2 the casualties drowned because the Navy didn't know how the landing zones were .
                  They dropped the Marines off at the " beach" with full combat loads, packs, guns, food ammo and as they ran through the ankle deep water they had to maneuver around Japanese obstacles and worse, deep water where many drowned.
                  the Navy Frogman ( UDT) was born because of this tragedy and the obvious lesson of how important intelligence is prior to a battle
                  Last edited by Aquabach; 05-17-2019, 06:19 AM.
                  "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Due to bad intel, many Marines had to wade 500 yards to shore, under intense fire.

The Japanese lost ~4700 men (including Koreans pressed into service). The Marine Corps lost 978 men.

'Of the 12,000 Marines involved, 3200 became casualties. Nearly all in the first 76 hours.'

No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Working...
                    X