Northport VA Center

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northport VA Center

The Northport VA Medical Center is getting a new director after nearly a year under the leadership of an interim chief.

Dr. Antonio Sanchez, 51, is an 18-year employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs and currently is chief of staff of the VA Caribbean Healthcare System based in Puerto Rico, the agency said Friday. He served as acting director of the Caribbean system for roughly two years, from December 2016 to January 2019.

Sanchez, a psychiatrist, will take over Northport's top job from interim head Dr. Cathy Cruise in the next 45 to 60 days, said Dr. Joan E. McInerney, who oversees the VA's New York regional office.

Northport has come a long way
    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Hope he can turn things around. I’ve been using the VA at Northport since returning from Viet Nam. It sucked back then but things changed around the mid 90’s. Got pretty good IMO. Now I think with all the returning Vets from the Middle East the system is “overloaded “. It sucks again. But that may just be my experience. I lost my confidence in them and now started going to private Dr’s for most treatments except those I’m Service Connected for. Although I have noticed some improvement lately.

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
      President T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Comment

My dad used to sing their praises.

Comment

but half the complex, is condemned or should be condemned ...... hope it gets better ------------------has a real nice golf course for the Canadian illegal immigrant geese

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
            but half the complex, is condemned or should be condemned ...... hope it gets better ------------------has a real nice golf course for the Canadian illegal immigrant geese
            Yes, they’re planning on tearing down several of the older buildings. Most that are no longer used.

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
            President T. Roosevelt

Comment

When I got out in the 80’s all the buildings were in use. Unfortunately, they let stuff get outta control. I wish they would get more Vet housing. We have a large homeless vet population in Long Island

Comment

Originally posted by VietVet View Post
                Hope he can turn things around. I’ve been using the VA at Northport since returning from Viet Nam. It sucked back then but things changed around the mid 90’s. Got pretty good IMO. Now I think with all the returning Vets from the Middle East the system is “overloaded “. It sucks again. But that may just be my experience. I lost my confidence in them and now started going to private Dr’s for most treatments except those I’m Service Connected for. Although I have noticed some improvement lately.
                I've been meaning to check in with you...How's your knee doing?

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

I've been meaning to check in with you...How's your knee doing?
                  Things didn’t turn out so well. Looks like I’m going to have to have that knee replaced.

President T. Roosevelt

Comment

My fathers a Vietnam vet. The northport VA did his cataract surgery, knee replacements and literally saved his life when he had agent orange connected lung cancer and thyroid cancer. I know that they used to be a shit show, and they’re not perfect, but my family owes them a whole lot. Although in all fairness they owe my father and you other veterans more.

Comment

The facility is a hundred years old and it shows in many places. I hope the new director is the man for the job, there is much to be done there.
                      I am a Dr. Cruise fan and I wish she had gotten the permanent gig.
                      A lot of what is wrong at Northport is not the fault of Northport. Some of it certainly is though. If VA is going to recommit to Northport and restore it to what it should be they need to appoint a leader and leave him or her there. 5 directors in 5 years, 7 or 8 over the past 10. That is unacceptable.
                      Long Island has one of the largest veteran populations in the United States, there is no excuse for allowing the facility to deteriorate the way it has.

Buildings are being removed, systems are being replaced and upgraded and they are hiring to backfill staffing shortages.

With th all of the challenges they have I hope no one ever forgets that miracles happen there every day too. Lives are saved, abilities restored, broken bodies and minds are mended.
                      I’m similar to Rich, a service connected vet who uses VA for some but not all of my care. An irony is that for VA to sustain funding at Northport, vet have to use the facility. If you are enrolled, go for an annual physical. If you are not enrolled, you should be.

Comment

Northport V/A = "Butchers" ---- " . "
                        NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by VietVet View Post

Things didn’t turn out so well. Looks like I’m going to have to have that knee replaced.
                          When are you going to have it done?

Comment

Since getting outsourced 2 years ago I've been using Northport and I've been.pretty happy them.

Comment

Working...
                            X