No announcement yet.

LEUPOLD to DISCONTINUE MARK 4 Sales to Civilians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking of getting a Mk4 for my M1A. Leupold and the Mk4 is one of the few scopes built for the M14 platform and are capable of long term handling the 'reverse' recoil of the weapon. If I can get one for a substantial savings I'll likely jump on it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Good riddance to those things. A few years ago you could buy them used for $400-500 on SH when everyone went to FFP optics like NF. That said, the M3 cam 3.5-10 actually isn't a bad option for the occasional long range shooter provided they are shooting huge targets and a 308 with 168 Fed GM.

The 2.5-8 with 1/2 MOA adjustments was used by the Marines on the DMRs back in the day.

Any NF or Schmidt and Bender will handle the recoil as well or better than the Mark 4, they will also track significantly better.

I sold most of my Mark 4s. I kept 3, I use them on my air rifles. They are OK for that.

Comment

Reverse recoil? It's not an air rifle. Have you ever watched any slow motion video of an M1/M1A? When the bolt goes forward, the whole rifle is still moving rearward under recoil. I wouldn't exactly call that reverse recoil.
        Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

What I'm seeing is a bolt going forward with nearly as much force as it was driven back under the burn of the powder and it's certainly something that I can feel when firing mine. You can deny it all you want but those in the know in the M14(M1A) community have know it for decades that it does indeed produce reverse recoil and does eat lesser scopes.
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKLHciAjegs

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post
            What I'm seeing is a bolt going forward with nearly as much force as it was driven back under the burn of the powder and it's certainly something that I can feel when firing mine. You can deny it all you want but those in the know in the M14(M1A) community have know it for decades that it does indeed produce reverse recoil and does eat lesser scopes.
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKLHciAjegs
            Most guns eat lesser scopes. That's just a rule. Most cheap scopes track like crap. Very few do wel.

Check out all the high power guys figuring out their leupolds don't track right. It's comical. So they buy March thinking those will track... I don't have the heart to tell them what's going to happen. They are just new to it so it's kinda cute.

In general cheap optics suck and you get what you pay for. My remaining leupold Mark 4s are air rifle scopes. They are ok for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarheadsergeant View Post

Most guns eat lesser scopes. That's just a rule. Most cheap scopes track like crap. Very few do wel.

Check out all the high power guys figuring out their leupolds don't track right. It's comical. So they buy March thinking those will track... I don't have the heart to tell them what's going to happen. They are just new to it so it's kinda cute.

In general cheap optics suck and you get what you pay for. My remaining leupold Mark 4s are air rifle scopes. They are ok for that.
              I don't have the want or need to spend exorbitant amounts of cash on NF and S&B scopes for my rifles as you do. I'm not shooting long range competitions or sniping at 1200 yards. I'm quite satisfied with scopes down the pecking order for my type of shooting. Yes many 'high power' rifles eat scopes but was talking specifically about the M14 platform of weapons and their penchant for destroying good scopes made robust enough for bolt actions but maybe not the unique action of M14 firearms.

That said,the Leupold Mk4 series of scopes has served our Armed Forces on its M14 for decades and I've been a member of M14 sites for years which has many members have Mk4's on their rifles and I seldom hear of issues with them, That's good enough for me and more importantly my wallet.
              I don't think I even want a scope for my M1A because I like it the way I fired them in the Navy but if I can get a very good deal on a Mk4 I might pick one up but maybe not.
              If I do and the scope breaks dick I'll just keep sending it back till Leupold gets it right, their warranty is one of the rest in the business, as you know.

Comment

Working...
              X