Beginning reload setup for 223/556

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning reload setup for 223/556

Leaning Turret press since it gives me the opportunity to crank out the cheaper practice stuff at a faster rate, and also take my time to learn and spend time on the more precision loads.

What would I need to get going initially for this caliber? Also, what press would you guys recommend?

Depends on your budget. I load perfectly good match ammo on a Lee single-stage press.

Comment

Originally posted by wdeister08 View Post
      Leaning Turret press since it gives me the opportunity to crank out the cheaper practice stuff at a faster rate, and also take my time to learn and spend time on the more precision loads.

What would I need to get going initially for this caliber? Also, what press would you guys recommend?
      If you want to load match ammo get a forster co-ax. for volume dillon 550

Comment

Lee Classic turret press , also comes as a kit with basic accessories to get you started .

Comment

I've reloaded lots of .223 on a Lee turret press.

Comment

Start with the ABC's of reloading. Read it, then read it again. Then get someone who is an experienced reloaded to show you.

I would go with the Lee Classic Turret kit to start you off. You will need to get .223 dies, powder, primer, bullets and brass.

Comment

Originally posted by rts414 View Post
              Lee Classic turret press , also comes as a kit with basic accessories to get you started .
              I second that. You'll need brass prep stuff like tumblers and trimmers. Digital scale, gauges, calipers and a good vacuum when you spill shit all over the place. Yeah you think you'll be careful and it will never happen to you...it will and better be prepared.

Comment

Press
                powder dispenser
                dies
                trimmer
                scale
                primer pocket cleaner
                caliper
                chamfer/debur tool
                lube
                swage tool/countersink but if using crimped brass
                bullets
                primers
                powder
                brass
                3 reloading manuals at minimum
                abcs of reloading
                hours of YouTube
                Bullet puller

that's just to start. You'll want better/more tools as you go

Comment

If you are reloading for an AR style rifle.... RCBS small base die set ... it will help ensure proper chambering .....and does not require exact trim length for proper crimping.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...th-taper-crimp

Comment

Always a good read for reloading for the AR:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sgunreload.cfm

Comment

I've used Lee stuff for years and had great luck. Best money I've spent so far was on an electronic powder measure.

Ryan

Comment

You are going to get 100 different opinions from 100 different posters on what you need and what brand to get.

For starters, what made you decide to go for a turret setup instead of a single?

It is an expensive "hobby". I would suggest you first look at starter kits to get your feet wet. You will be replacing most of what you start with within two years depending on budget and preferences.

Comment

Check out Natchez shooting supply, they have pretty decent deals from time to time on reloading equipment. .

Comment

Originally posted by Fotheringill View Post
                            You are going to get 100 different opinions from 100 different posters on what you need and what brand to get.

For starters, what made you decide to go for a turret setup instead of a single?

It is an expensive "hobby". I would suggest you first look at starter kits to get your feet wet. You will be replacing most of what you start with within two years depending on budget and preferences.
                            I plan on loading 223/556 to start primarily and a turret lets me push out more plinking/practice loads while also being able to slow down my rate for more precision stuff. I may go RCBS and buy processed brass in the beginning to save on some tools at first. Still leaning turret, but the price difference is very real between the two for sure.

Comment

Where are you located? I can give you hand and you can come check out my set up.
                              III%

Comment

Working...
                              X