What's The Difference Between 5.56 & .223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's The Difference Between 5.56 & .223

This subject has been discussed by many so here's the answer.......................................

https://youtu.be/rG5jAJx7mr4

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
    President T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Comment

Now we have to do math? This place sucks!
      Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

For all in tents and porpoises there is no difference, unless you're shooting a rifle that's marked as 223, and not .223/5.56. There is a difference in the case, where the milspec case will have a slightly thicker wall at the base and a crimped primer.
        I have never heard of a rifle that's not marked 5.56 having issues firing milspec ammo, but I don't know everything even though I like to pretend I do.
        SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Bumping this old thread just because I happened to see it... the difference is in both the chambers and the max SAAMI ammo specs. The max pressure for .223 is 50k CUP. Max on the 5.56 is 60k CUP. That's a decent difference. The 5.56 chamber has a longer leade. Shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber with it's shorter throat/leade causes pressure spikes. I've personally seen it stick bolts on bolt actions and blow out primers on a AR. Not good.
          Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post
            Bumping this old thread just because I happened to see it... the difference is in both the chambers and the max SAAMI ammo specs. The max pressure for .223 is 50k CUP. Max on the 5.56 is 60k CUP. That's a decent difference. The 5.56 chamber has a longer leade. Shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber with it's shorter throat/leade causes pressure spikes. I've personally seen it stick bolts on bolt actions and blow out primers on a AR. Not good.
            This^^^^

Also 223 Wylde chambers can however safely fire both calibers

Comment

My thoughts. https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...on-make-sticky

Comment

Working...
              X