how to remove lead from pavers?? brick type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove lead from pavers?? brick type

murphy really loves me i am genuinely blessed.

had a bit of a accident and i had a bit of lead spill on my pavers.
    actually quite a bit spread out.

wife looked at me on saturday took my wallet and left.
    i guess shopping makes her feel better.

the pavers have a concrete brick like texture so you cannot peel it off.

i heard white vinegar and peroxide would dissolve lead.

any ideas???

worst case scenario i can flip the pavers over but there are a lot of pavers that would need to be flipped and some bricks that are cemented which i could not flip

let's make america great again

Maybe heat it up with a torch and blot with a towel?

Comment

It's a pain to clean up properly but you will have bigger problems if you don't. Believe it or not, lead is pretty toxic and you are leaving a time bomb for your family or whomever moves in after you. Replace the pavers and any affected soil and dispose of them. Otherwise lead dust will be tracked in and around your property for years to come.
      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Yeah, your pretty much effed. If you dissolve the lead using a acid then your dealing with a toxic lead oxides. If you heat and try to soak it up your driving the lead even deeper into the pavers because you're heating it to the point of flowing, and flow it will into the nooks and crannies.
        Better bite the bullet, take out the old hammer and chisel and start replacing pavers.
        Or you could try a power washer and see if any will peel off the stones...
        SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

it will melt pretty easily so you could try the torch/towel method. Or just say it is test lead.
          Originally posted by ChiefSailer
          Deplorables FTW!!

Comment

At least you didnt make a Small mistake....................

Comment

i will try the power washer if not i will just replace the pavers

Comment

I would pull the bricks
                try to chip off the lead it shouldn't the bond shouldn't be very strong
                melt it carefully if it wont chip off and remember that heated brick can and will fracture and explode definitly take saftey to the max try to just heat the lead
                remelt to clean and reuse it r
                then replace the bricks nice side up
                every one talking about lead this and lead that needs to realize
                if he split it on the bricks he probably isn't taking all the precautions to safeguard from minor lead contamination in the house
                Sorry OP Idint mean to sound like a dick just how I see it
                Originally posted by Mad Russian;n47464
                BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
                The AR.....wins...????
                Oh God!
                I can't believe I said that!!!
                I'm gonna puke!!!
                BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 50bmgshooter View Post
                  I would pull the bricks
                  try to chip off the lead it shouldn't the bond shouldn't be very strong
                  melt it carefully if it wont chip off and remember that heated brick can and will fracture and explode definitly take saftey to the max try to just heat the lead
                  remelt to clean and reuse it r
                  then replace the bricks nice side up
                  every one talking about lead this and lead that needs to realize
                  if he split it on the bricks he probably isn't taking all the precautions to safeguard from minor lead contamination in the house
                  Sorry OP Idint mean to sound like a dick just how I see it
                  pretty carefull with it. i use gloves when handling it long sleeve shirt and eye protection.
                  i pretty much melt it into ingots and use them to cast. i do it outside so i do not inhale the fumes.

i believe a bit of moisture was in the wheel weights and when i stirred it there was a nice big explosion.

what precautions should i take not to contaminate the house??

i do not reload in my home i have a climate controlled shed.

Last edited by Havfun; 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

This may sound counter intuitive and I am not sure if it will work, but what about pouring more lead on the spots, enough that when it cools you can grab it with a par of pliers or actually get something under it like a putty knife to pry it up.
                    Ben

Comment

i tried the melting and blotting it up that did not work. the shirt did not absorb the lead.

i think picking them up and heating them and letting gravity do the rest will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Havfun View Post
                        i tried the melting and blotting it up that did not work. the shirt did not absorb the lead.

i think picking them up and heating them and letting gravity do the rest will work.
                        Paint some flux on the tshirt?
                        Ben

Comment

Photos? Seeing it might stir up some ideas....or we might just laugh, hard to know which 😀

Comment

Looked at it I would say about 5 lbs are spread over it. Somehow I remembered a lot more. A good amount went back in the pot

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X