Ammo for long range varmint hunting....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo for long range varmint hunting....

Starting to think about my South Dakota trip and ammo for long distance prairie dog shooting. I've done a bunch of testing of various factory loads (all .223) and the best results I have gotten so far out of all of my rifles has been Hornady 55 grain V-Max and Black Hills 60-grain V-Max (factory fresh not their reman stuff) at both 100 and 200 yards, followed closely by Fiocchi 50-grain V-Max. My buddies are using the same rifles as me. In addition to the accuracy, I am sticking with polymer tips for the explosive expansion on the intended targets. My testing has only been at a max of 200 yards with less than 5 mph winds. We will be shooting anywhere from 100 - 450 yards with winds possible in the 15-20 mph range. Guns all have 24" 1:8 twist barrels except for 1 which is a 26" 1:9. The

The question is would you go with 50, 55 or 60 grain pills ? There are significant price differences / availability issues in these three rounds and with four guys going for four days, we are going to be buying/bringing several thousand rounds.
    Last edited by HyFiveGuns; 03-07-2018, 12:16 PM.

Shoot your rifles before you head out. The elevation change will throw you off. My 223 was shooting dead on at 450yds in Eastern Wyoming

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
      Shoot your rifles before you head out. The elevation change will throw you off. My 223 was shooting dead on at 450yds in Eastern Wyoming
      Yes, we plan to do that on the day we arrive. The place we're staying has a range on site. what's your opinion on the bullet weight?

Comment

What ever the weight I would go with a VMax . Just use what weight groups best at 200 yards and take in account for wind and range for the bullet weight . A heavier bullet will be less effected by the wind but won't shoot as flat

Comment

Whichever one shoots best and you can get your hands on before you go.

Are you only taking a 223?

I went with Rem. 223PSS, Rem 22-250VS and a Rem 40XBKS in 6mm rem

Comment

Whichever one shoots best and you can get your hands on before you go.

Are you only taking a 223?

I went with Rem. 223PSS, Rem 22-250VS and a Rem 40XBKS in 6mm rem
            I am taking my Tikka T3x Varmint .223, CZ 527 Varmint .223, Stag Arms Varminter .223, and Tikka T3x CTR 6.5mm Creedmoor. My buddies are taking a mix of .223's, .243's, and 30-06's.

Comment

O6 is overkill. Just going to punish them at the end of the day

Comment

O6 is overkill. Just going to punish them at the end of the day
                I know, that's what I've told him. But who am I to argue with a 72 year old Vietnam vet? That's what he's got, and that's what he's bringing. I'm bringing an extra .223 or two for him for when he gets tired of getting beat up by the 06.

Comment

Barrel on that 06 will get hot very fast..

I heated up my 223 barrel on a little town that had never been shot at. 7 or 8 dogs per mound just standing there wondering where their buddies were

Comment

Barrel on that 06 will get hot very fast..

I heated up my 223 barrel on a little town that had never been shot at. 7 or 8 dogs per mound just standing there wondering where their buddies were
                    Yup. That's why I'm taking a lot of guns. Gonna rotate them around to let the barrels cool. The 6.5CM is for really long shots so I will be using that sparingly. Also bringing a few guns for my friends son. It's going to be quite the scene checking in at the airport. Going to look like a small militia.

Comment

Working...
                    X