Ideas for a compact reloading setup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post

Here's a simple one - cut a piece of 3/4" plywood, the width of the top (narrow enough for the plastic trays to hook on if you use them) and long enough that the press side is even with the stand top - and the other end touches the wall---- wait, it's right next to me, so I'll grab a tapemeasure... 8-3/8" x 15" long.

attach that to the stand top - using the press bolts (get longer ones of course) then, you'll get an 8 inch turnbuckle, (2) 1/4" screw eyes,... add a piece of 2x4 (or 2x6, 2x8, whatever) to the bottom side - one screw eye in that, and the other screw eye goes into a wall stud where you want to work = a couple inches below the top height.

You place the stand with the new top touching the wall, hook the turnbuckle bolts to the eyes, and snug it up. Now it's solid and stable enough for a progressive. and you don't need to go nuts tightening it.
    Thanks!!!

Comment

Last year I bought the 6' pegboard backed work bench ( I'd post a link -- but Harbor Freight hasn't fixed their site yet ? ) in has a small 8" shelf on top with a small 3' florescent light -- I glued some tin foil under it to help the 13 W lamp -- it doesn't -- at some point that will be replaced with a 4' double florescent tube w/ a better wall like switch -- the 13 W will find its way into my air brush paint box in the paint department ( bathroom ) -- its mounted to the wall in my work shop ( kitchen ) -- its easily duplicated with 1" perforated angle iron from Homey Despot - in any length I want --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
        So luckily I have a few months yet until I actually have to deal with this but I figured I should start getting some ideas.
        currently I'm working with an rcbs rock chucker and everything to go with it, spread out nicely on a ~6ftx3ft workbench I built myself. However I'm going to be moving into an apartment soon on my own and I know I won't have room for this set up there, so what are my options if I want to keep reloading but don't have the room to do so. Chances are I'm gonna load up everything I got then sell off my reloading gear if I can't find a way to make it work.
        So ideas?
        Ikea has the smaller desktops with screw on legs, i keep one in the closet for doing things like fly tying, gun cleaning, etc. It even works great for a makeshift dinner table if you have a friend or two over. When you have limited room its great to have an extra table on hand for multiple uses. Takes but 2 minutes to get the legs on:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29932181/
        Last edited by Banzai; 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Do the seats fold down in the truck?
          A sunny day
          A shotgun and a Chevrolet
          Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post
            Do the seats fold down in the truck?
            in mine? yeah. currently piled high with umpire gear and random tools and shit.

Comment

in mine? yeah. currently piled high with umpire gear and random tools and shit.
              You could totally turn it into a reloading station and make a gig out of it.
              Like an ice cream truck for club members or some shit...
              A sunny day
              A shotgun and a Chevrolet
              Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post

You could totally turn it into a reloading station and make a gig out of it.
                Like an ice cream truck for club members or some shit...
                I have considered the implications of doing a reloading service for people, like take their gun and run a few ladders, then charge them to load batches from there on.

Comment

Buy the lee precision bench plate, mount it on anything solid. Like an ice cream truck.

Comment

I realize your on a college budget and all, but this type of thing was made for exactly your type of space situation.

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Reloading Stand

438B1647-ED9F-4E75-ACE0-935A8CB5067B.jpeg

Comment

I loaded .45 ACP all through college and grad school on a Lee Turret press wingnut fastened to my weightlifting bench.

Later, I fastened the press to a block of 1" x 6" and then C-clamped that to my dinette table. My landlord saw it once and inquired. Told him it was a coffee bean press.
                      Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by SirMixAlot View Post
                        I realize your on a college budget and all, but this type of thing was made for exactly your type of space situation.

eh, my college budget has expanded a bit now that i'm almost always working full time. Regardless for 135, if it's sturdy that thing could be a life saver. thank you.

Comment

eh, my college budget has expanded a bit now that i'm almost always working full time. Regardless for 135, if it's sturdy that thing could be a life saver. thank you.
                          That actually looks like a keyboard music stand but not quite as sturdy. So hey, look into a keyboard music stand, they're rated for like 80lbs and you could just throw a piece of plywood across and it fold up when you're done

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
                            I loaded .45 ACP all through college and grad school on a Lee Turret press wingnut fastened to my weightlifting bench.

Later, I fastened the press to a block of 1" x 6" and then C-clamped that to my dinette table. My landlord saw it once and inquired. Told him it was a coffee bean press.
                            Did he ask to see your Soy carafe? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by SirMixAlot View Post

I like the idea that it's compact & can be stored in a minimal amount of space. I do doubt how stable it will be. A workmate would be better IMO.
                              NRA Life member

Comment

Black and Decker or similar and some very strong Irwin clamps or some such would be the best bet. Remember, though, you are going to have a lot of mounting and dismounting effort expended.

Luckily, I have a lot of room for reloading but do have certain items attached to my Black and Decker with clamps for convenience

Comment

Working...
                                X