Can this 5.56 brass be reloaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this 5.56 brass be reloaded?

Can this brass be reloaded or does it go in the scrap metal pile?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Na... chuck em

Comment

• LazyLab
      LazyLab commented
      Editing a comment
      What??????? You can't find a use for that!

not worth it.... your gun dinging them like that?

Comment

Neck dinged?

Fit in a case gauge?

Those dents will be gone within .001 of a second after pulling the trigger.
      The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Why are you guys telling him they are bad? Its just a dent from an AR brass deflector. That dent will nearly disappear after resizing and will have no effect on how the case performs. I've loaded hundreds, if not thousands of cases like that. You should see what a Garand does to case necks. That brass comes back to life as well.

Comment

• crashguy
          crashguy commented
          Editing a comment
          They are creased a bit too much for my liking ..and being it's only 4 pieces ...why play around with them... and I said as much... The op seems to be new to reloading and I would not recommend a novice reloader deviate from conventional best practices for inspecting/discarding brass to reload ... Although for an experienced reloaded like yourself ...I think it would be fine for you to reload them.

My Mini-14 leaves a slight dimple on the case sometimes but nothing like that. No matter, I don't reload.
        • To be human is to be armed.
        • Ideology is the nemesis of intellect.
        • Social media are the "Assault Weapons" of the First Amendment.

Comment

• GunsNGolf
          GunsNGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll take your brass!

• BLAMMO!!
          BLAMMO!! commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably should collect it and save it, just for the helluvit. It may be brass but some people around here think it's gold.

You could reload them with no issue. After resizing most of that will be gone and the rest will after firing. If it is only 4 I would put them aside.

Comment

I have no idea lol. But if its only 4 cases id chuck them

Comment

No resizing die will get rid of the dent and the dent looks to creased for my liking. Sure you could reload them and the dent will come out when fired but you will have different pressures than normal reloads because of the reduced size of the case.
            Just chuck them

Comment

Second from the top looks a little more creased then I like. The others I would reload, heck I've reloaded worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post
                not worth it.... your gun dinging them like that?
                I have picked up my brass and other shooters' brass for reloading. I have never noticed my brass deflector dinging them like this. I'll just get rid of them.

On a side note, I am impressed the job a cheap HF rock tumbler did cleaning it using SS media and Dawn dish detergent.

Comment

• Parashooter
                  Parashooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SS media??? the rock tumbler is fine... what is the media you're using? if it is a rock polishing media - it will be abrasive, and Not good for brass as it removes metal. Walnut shell or another non-abrasive medial is the thing to use....
                  "Polishing" by definition is removing material to get to a flat surface - with brass casings we want CLEAN - polishing can weaken the case walls if overdone..

Just curious but does anybody have any ideas to remedy this. Tune down the gas port? Change the extractor or ejector? That's some serious dinging. Never seen anything quite like that.

• To be human is to be armed.
                • Ideology is the nemesis of intellect.
                • Social media are the "Assault Weapons" of the First Amendment.

Comment

I should of been more clear. The resizing die will not remove the dent. The die will resize the case and it should fit in the chamber. The brass is useable. 4 pieces just toss them aside. I would drill a hole where the dent is and make some dummie rounds.
                  I drill a couple of holes in a case. Clean up the holes and resize the case. Seat case and fill primer pocket with some silicone.

Comment

Working...
                  X