Perfecta 158Gr 38 Special, A little too Special

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfecta 158Gr 38 Special, A little too Special

I bought some of this stuff from TargetSports, and took it to the range tonight. I first loaded it into my S&W 442. Recoil is always a little stout with the 442 but I can usually make it through a box before having had enough practice. I made it through 7 rounds and gave up. This ammo is loaded hot, to the point I wondered if they had blundered into magnum territory. The last time I quit shooting a revolver after only a few rounds was with a Scandium frame 357 magnum. Even a 460 magnum was better than this.

So I wondered maybe I'm getting soft, and loaded it into my S&W Model 10. Wasn't as painful as before but the recoil and muzzle blast was significant. In addition, I kept getting hit in the face and thumb with sharp pieces of unburned powered (I'm assuming it was unburnt) and hit my thumb hard enough to draw blood.

With all that said, the ammo was accurate and made pretty holes in the paper. But I wonder what kind of wear and tear this would put on the guns. It doesn't say +P on the box but it's at least that if not more so. I would definitely recommend not shooting this ammo in J Frame or anything else compact / lightweight.

Any way to chrono it?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

I second C6NYs thought about running it through a chrono. If it's that hot, I'd only run it through a gun rated for 357's or try to get a refund.
      NRA Life member

Comment

What do you usually shoot? (maybe THAT stuff has the problem)

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post
          What do you usually shoot? (maybe THAT stuff has the problem)
          No. .38 through a Model 10 should be as soft as a baby's bottom.
          ​​​​​

Comment

Don’t have a chrono unfortunately. I usually shoot a variety based on price, PPU, Aguila, Remington, GECO. Nothing has ever bucked like this stuff does.

Comment

A friend had a box of 9m Perfecta and was shooting his G43 - the muzzle blast was like a Mosin M44.

Comment

I have alot in 9mm and 45acp,never noticed a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

No. .38 through a Model 10 should be as soft as a baby's bottom.
                  ​​​​​
                  One man's mule kick is another man's baby's bottom.

Comment

In doing some research this week to see if my Model 10-7 with a 4 inch standard barrel can handle +P ammo I ran across a lot of info that states the +P ammo of today is the same or WEAKER than standard .38 loads from 50 years ago. Seems the lawyers got involved. So maybe the Perfecta is loading up to the real .38 Spl standards. Gotta get some and try it out. I can only find weak ass ammo around here to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
                      Don’t have a chrono unfortunately. I usually shoot a variety based on price, PPU, Aguila, Remington, GECO. Nothing has ever bucked like this stuff does.
                      I have a chrono and would like to get out to run some .308 over it to get some data to put into a ballistic calculator. Where do you usually shoot and where are you located? I've set it up at MF but that's a pain becasue I need electricity for the lighted screens. The un-lighted screens didn't work at Brookhaven with the awnings. I don't know if Calverton would let me set it up but I can't see why not.
                      Last edited by Finicky Fat Guy; 06-11-2018, 11:05 AM.
                      "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                      Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                      Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Ive shot it before and have a couple of boxes of it. It was a bit hotter than other stuff but not that bad. I shot it all out of my model 10-8.
                        I guess it depends on how recoil sensitive you are because it didn’t find it unpleasant to shoot.
                        III%

Comment

FFG, I see guys with chronos all the time at Calverton on the 200 yard side. I stay away from the 50 yard side so I don't know if they use them over there.

Comment

I wonder if the round is a little oversized and you're shaving lead as it hits the barrel. Could be the "sharp unburned powder" coming back at your hand, and would definitely give a wallop when shooting.

Comment

I typically go for night owl shoots at Freeport, only time I get the chance. Not convenient I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X