Ammo Storage - Steel Job Site Box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo Storage - Steel Job Site Box

I want to store ammo in a lockable steel job site box (ex. Knaack, Rigid, etc.) in my attic.

My attic gets extremely hot and melted candles I had stored in it.

I have read that ammo stored in safes is not hazardous during a house fire.

Does the same apply to ammo stored in a steel job site box?

Is there any reason why this is not a good idea?

I don’t think that’s a good idea.
    the chemicals may break down.
    i believe they say ammo shouldn’t be stored for extended periods above 100 degrees

but I have an idea if you really want to do it
    What about building an insulated box with radiant barrier on top to cover it.?
    then install a vent in the ceiling of your house under it.
    this way you’ll make that part of your attic actually part of your living space.

just an idea
    Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

If you're worried about regular summer attic heat you're fine. Ammo has been stored in the hottest areas of the world( Sahara) for example with no problem. If you're talking fire then you have a problem. Fire gets to a gang box loaded with ammo it's going to cook off.
      as far as safes it all depends on its fire rating.
      "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post
        If you're worried about regular summer attic heat you're fine. Ammo has been stored in the hottest areas of the world( Sahara) for example with no problem. If you're talking fire then you have a problem. Fire gets to a gang box loaded with ammo it's going to cook off.
        as far as safes it all depends on its fire rating.
        Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
          I don’t think that’s a good idea.
          the chemicals may break down.
          i believe they say ammo shouldn’t be stored for extended periods above 100 degrees

but I have an idea if you really want to do it
          What about building an insulated box with radiant barrier on top to cover it.?
          then install a vent in the ceiling of your house under it.
          this way you’ll make that part of your attic actually part of your living space.

just an idea
          When I am in my attic in the winter, I feel the free flow of air from the venting, and it is very cold (the attic was part of a dormer built 14 years ago). However, the summer temperatures are insane.

Do you have a link to building an insulated box with radiant barrier on top to cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky Gold View Post

When I am in my attic in the winter, I feel the free flow of air from the venting, and it is very cold (the attic was part of a dormer built 14 years ago). However, the summer temperatures are insane.

Do you have a link to building an insulated box with radiant barrier on top to cover it?
            No link. But I can give you my suggestions based on what I did for my attic ladder access.
            people don’t think about their attic access being a giant hole or chimney pouring heat up in the winter.

First, I'd like to reiterate my objection to storing ammo in extreme heat and humidity. While ammunition is used and dependable in extremes storing it for extended periods is different. I'm guessing you may want to store some ammo for years. If only months I don't think it matters but years is different.
            Attics can easily reach 150 degrees in summer.

Any way if you want to build an insulated box and put a vent in the ceiling , basically making that small area of attic the same as you're living space you could do it relatively easily like this:

Go to Home Depot and buy Rigid Foam insulation. Duct tape, foamboard liquid nail adhesive. as well as some extra R-19 roll insulation and weather stripping foam as thick as the foamboard

I used 1 inch thick Dow Super tuff with silver foil on it. It has an R value of 6.5 Simply decide on the size you need. Make the box tall enough so you can fit the R19 insulation inside pressed against the top and sandwich a piece of foamboard underneath. .
            The reason why is R6.5 for a ceiling isn't enough insulation. That's where the R-19 ( or greater) comes in. That insulation is between the first box and the second. So with R-13 from the rigid foam and the R19 rolled insulation in between you have R32 which isn't bad. Glue and tape pieces together until you have a box.You can also use thicker foam board or more sheets.

Then take 1 inch weather striping and put it along the bottom of the walls so it seals against the floor.

it makes it pretty air tight. I checked my attic stair access by putting the attic lights on at night and I coan't see any light leakage.

Just an idea
            Last edited by Aquabach; 07-11-2018, 06:22 AM.
            Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Working...
            X