Favorite 9mm Recipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite 9mm Recipes

Those of you who do a lot of reloading, what is your go-to recipe for target 9mm? I am working on a batch of 115 gr Hornady fmj, with 6.5 gr of Power Pistol, CCI primers, OAL 1.100". I'm curious what others have had success with.

I don't use 115 gr heads, rather 124 gr. Ibejiheads coated bullets. But your OAL of 1.1" seems very short, which means your pressures will be higher, along with the bullet having to jump more of a gap before engaging the rifling. My loads run 1.135"-1.15" And use 3.5-3.7gr Titegroup depending on the gun.
    Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
    Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
      I don't use 115 gr heads, rather 124 gr. Ibejiheads coated bullets. But your OAL of 1.1" seems very short, which means your pressures will be higher, along with the bullet having to jump more of a gap before engaging the rifling. My loads run 1.135"-1.15" And use 3.5-3.7gr Titegroup depending on the gun.
      Yes, the OAL seemed short to me, but that is what the Hornady book calls for for that particular bullet. I'll move it out a bit, about .005". Their 124 fmj should be 1.150". I'll try Titegroup next powder order.

Comment

The OAL listed in most manuals represents the minimum OAL for that particular bullet and powder combo, so as not to create excess pressures. It's not necessarily what the OAL should be. The best OAL ultimately is determined by the gun and the mags it's used in. And the longest OAL that will fit in the mags, and function in the gun usually works best. When in doubt though, base it on a similar factory round.

Btw, what velocity are you getting, or trying for?
        Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

I’m with Bob. I use 124 gun plates though. I use 3.7 titegroup and a 1.15 OAL.
          III%

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
            The OAL listed in most manuals represents the minimum OAL for that particular bullet and powder combo, so as not to create excess pressures. It's not necessarily what the OAL should be. The best OAL ultimately is determined by the gun and the mags it's used in. And the longest OAL that will fit in the mags, and function in the gun usually works best. When in doubt though, base it on a similar factory round.

Btw, what velocity are you getting, or trying for?
            I don't have a chronograph, but the data says 6.4=1200 fps, and 6.7 (max)=1250 fps.

Comment

Ok, if that's the velocities you're going for, and it's clean burning, then leave well enough alone. But if you want to go lower velocities, then try titegroup. And going to 124 gr heads will lessen felt recoil.
              Either way, increase the oal for better functioning and accuracy.
              Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Working...
              X