Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh god what did I get myself into?!?!?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Oh god what did I get myself into?!?!?!?!?

    Little nervous and pretty damn excited to put this new contraption together and try my hand at reloading. Picked up a Dillon 650 with the whole 9mm package. This should be interesting. Going to be plucking some information from you guys here in the very near future.

    #2
    Whew...for a minute there, from your title, I thought you were the guy they "initiated" (molested) in room 5 at last weeks range meetup.

    But seriously, congrats on the Dillon setup. I hope to get to that point some day. For now though, it's just time to keep building up a brass supply.

    Comment


      #3
      Nice setup

      Comment


        #4
        You will become the biggest brass whore now.
        Reloading is a bigger addiction than shooting. Congrats on the machine, very nice.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
          Whew...for a minute there, from your title, I thought you were the guy they "initiated" (molested) in room 5 at last weeks range meetup.
          Now now....

          ....... he was. 😱
          NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
          NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
          Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MarineMike9707

            What initiation are you talking about???? And what range are you talking about? Lol.
            Mitchell Field . LIGC range night first Wednesday of the month . Pick the wrong room and you may get manhandled

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MarineMike9707 View Post
              Little nervous and pretty damn excited to put this new contraption together and try my hand at reloading. Picked up a Dillon 650 with the whole 9mm package. This should be interesting. Going to be plucking some information from you guys here in the very near future.
              I love that you set it up in your living room in front of your TV! Most guys have it in their basement of garage.

              Comment


                #8
                A few suggestions for add ons: : First, get the roller handle. If you plan on doing a lot of reloading, your arm and wrist will appreciate it. Get the powder checker die. The bullet tray. Get the light kit from Reloading innovations https://reloadinginnovations.com/col...s-lighting-kit. They're local on LI. And if you really plan on doing a lot of reloading, and can afford, eventually get the case feeder.
                Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                Certified NROI RSO

                Member Freeport R&R

                Comment


                  #9
                  These guys have a bunch of upgrades for the press, some of which are great, some of which are not. I have the spent primer chute adapter which feed the spent primers into an old can. The catch tray the Dillon has lets them spill out onto the floor easily. They also have an adapter kit to put a micrometer on the powder bar so if you change the load often it is easier to go right to the load you want. It takes some set up and test drops to build the data table, which was an interesting task. Then I never use it. :-(

                  There are some primer brands that you shouldn't use in that press as they are too soft and might go off when you seat them. Dillon told me that themselves. I can't recall which are no go but the CCI that I see in you photo are good to go, IIRC.

                  I had some trouble with 9mm in that when I worked the lever the shell felt like it was stuck and I had to use a little more force that I should have needed. Dillon told me that I tumbled the brass for too long. Tumble no longer than 30 minutes or so. I we setting up a load to tumble at night then timer would turn it on and off while I was at work and run for a few hours. That over did it and the cases stuck a little. Not a huge deal but worth keeping an eye on.

                  I didn't use the lights that Postal Bob linked, I just wired some LED strip lights with an adhesive back to an old cell phone charger. I like PB's link better. I may have to upgrade but I haven't sit at my bench in a while.

                  The automated case feeder it a nice plus.

                  Don't hesitate to call Dillon's customer support. They are terrific people and always a big help.


                  "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                  Tucker Max

                  Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                  Finicky Fat Guy

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Set up on the coffee table? In the living room? Is there a female in your house?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I have a 650 as well. It’s awsome. You’re going to love it. Did you get the brass feeder attachment?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        If you ever need help, let me know, I can show you the ropes.
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                        - Thomas Jefferson

                        "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                        - James Madison

                        Comment


                          #13
                          never heard about over tumbling brass case , did dillon say what the over tumbling caused ?
                          i let the large dillon tumbler run for about 3 hours per load of 500 pieces or so for 9 mm or 45 acp m/t pistol brass
                          , set on a timer with 1 1/2 hour run , 1 hour motor cool down , 1 1/2 hour run
                          hard to get case in size die , hard to extract re size cases ,
                          2 hints that seem to work for me
                          ...1/ add a bit , like 3 cap full, of lacquer thinner to the media , makes the case slick and keeps the media dust down
                          .........
                          ...2/ light spray with Pam cooking spray on a cotton rag, rub cleaned cases around , wipe down again on clear cotton rag
                          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
                            never heard about over tumbling brass case , did dillon say what the over tumbling caused ?
                            i let the large dillon tumbler run for about 3 hours per load of 500 pieces or so for 9 mm or 45 acp m/t pistol brass
                            , set on a timer with 1 1/2 hour run , 1 hour motor cool down , 1 1/2 hour run
                            hard to get case in size die , hard to extract re size cases ,
                            2 hints that seem to work for me
                            ...1/ add a bit , like 3 cap full, of lacquer thinner to the media , makes the case slick and keeps the media dust down
                            .........
                            ...2/ light spray with Pam cooking spray on a cotton rag, rub cleaned cases around , wipe down again on clear cotton rag
                            I honestly don't recall the specifics of what they said other than that some of the residue help act as a lube. I took a few dirty cases out of a bucket of untumbled brass and they cycled smoothly.
                            "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                            Tucker Max

                            Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                            Finicky Fat Guy

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Dank27 View Post
                              Nice setup
                              nice set on your avatar
                              "The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X