Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh god what did I get myself into?!?!?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dank27 View Post
    Nice setup
    nice set on your avatar
    "If you know how many guns you own,”you don’t have enough guns.”

"What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt."

Comment

Here it all almost fully set up. Need to get some of the parts that were missing from the kit but she’s almost there. And no, it’s not on my coffee table. Even though there’s no wife figure, I do have the kids.......or as I will soon call them, child ammo makers...... so it’s set up in another room. Now to do some reading and get some knowledge before I start cranking rounds out. (And no, I haven’t been to Mitchell Field in years so wrong Marine lol)

Comment

Originally posted by MarineMike9707 View Post
        Here it all almost fully set up. Need to get some of the parts that were missing from the kit but she’s almost there. And no, it’s not on my coffee table. Even though there’s no wife figure, I do have the kids.......or as I will soon call them, child ammo makers...... so it’s set up in another room. Now to do some reading and get some knowledge before I start cranking rounds out. (And no, I haven’t been to Mitchell Field in years so wrong Marine lol)
        One warning, toss the Hornady manual. the loads they listed for .45 ACP and Win 231 were hot. When I called them the referred me to the Hodgdon's website and said I shouldn't rely on their data. Their phone-voice messaging service was a hoot though: " If you remember the extension from the last time you called you can dial it at any time. If you are a Psychic and don't need us to tell you what number to press, go ahead and press it now." That kind of thing. I was in stitches when I finally spoke to someone.

One lesson I learned was to trust the powder drop on the 650. Once you get it dialed in to the weight you want, trust it. I didn't and was weighing every load, out of inexperience and paranoia. Do you know what happens when you try to weigh every charge on a progressive press? You inevitably screw it up and get a squib. Check rounds periodically, but not constantly.

Also, if you need help, give me a holler. I'm in SE Nassau.
        "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
        Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
        Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

never heard about over tumbling brass case , did dillon say what the over tumbling caused ?
          If brass is super clean, like you get if you wet tumble with steel pins, the cartidge will drag on the powder funnel/expander. And it will actually start to scratch it. The carbon fouling on the inside of the brass case, acts like a lubricant. You can tumble the brass clean until it's shiny on the outside, but you don't want the inside stripped clean down to the brass.
          I once bought fired brass that was tumbled clean with steel pins. It started scratching my powder funnel, and was very hard to work the press. Solution was to run all the brass in my tumbler with dirty dry media. It left a slight residue on the inside of the case, and made it easy to once again operate the press.
          Some people will spray dry lube like Hornady One Shot on their cases before reloading. But it leaves a slight residue on the outside of the case. And what's the point of having carbide sizing dies, if you're going to lube the cases anyway?
          Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
          Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

One warning, toss the Hornady manual. the loads they listed for .45 ACP and Win 231 were hot. When I called them the referred me to the Hodgdon's website and said I shouldn't rely on their data. Their phone-voice messaging service was a hoot though: " If you remember the extension from the last time you called you can dial it at any time. If you are a Psychic and don't need us to tell you what number to press, go ahead and press it now." That kind of thing. I was in stitches when I finally spoke to someone.

One lesson I learned was to trust the powder drop on the 650. Once you get it dialed in to the weight you want, trust it. I didn't and was weighing every load, out of inexperience and paranoia. Do you know what happens when you try to weigh every charge on a progressive press? You inevitably screw it up and get a squib. Check rounds periodically, but not constantly.

Also, if you need help, give me a holler. I'm in SE Nassau.
            I appreciate it. I’ll be asking a shit ton of questions when I get going. I have a good friend how is a master at reloading.

Comment

Hey, congrats on a great set up!
              NRA Endowment Member

Comment

Just a suggestion!

You need a quiet place without a TV or any other distractions while you're reloading.

Mistakes can be fatal at the range, especially with to much powder, to little, or none at all!

Just because you have a progressive reloader, it doesn't mean it's automatic! It has to be monitored constantly.

Dillon is the best! I have a 550B for about 15 years now without any problems. Have fun, and be safe.

Comment

Don't be nervous OP. One little mistake and BOOM-it's all over. Relax.

Comment

Working...
                  X