Blazer .38 light strikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blazer .38 light strikes

So last night at Freeport I broke out a box of Blazer Aluminum case 158gr .38 Spl. Fired a few round and the got the dreaded “click”. Ok, shit happens, tried again and had 2 more not fire. I wasn’t sure WTF but after 3 no goes out of 10 rounds I put the ammo and the gun away.
    Ok, I don’t normally shoot aluminum but I’ve never had this problem before. I’ve heard before that Blazer aluminum ammo uses a particular hard primer that makes reloading near impossible and wondered if that was the issue.
    Anyway, I’ll be doing a deep clean and inspection of the revolver today but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Firearm?
    NRA Life member

Comment

Originally posted by Sig View Post
      Firearm?
      642 snubby (airweight)

Comment

No issues with blazer aluminum with my S&w model 10 or my wife’s SP101.

How old is the box? You got me worried now. My wife has a box of 357 blazer HP that she uses as carry ammo. That is a few years old

Comment

I was up shooting clays a few weeks ago and had a box of Fiocchi 20 gauge and the top tune would fail to fire even though the primer had a strike on it.
          Threw the box away and had no more issues. That box could have had the primers seated “deeper” and the firing pin wasn’t hitting it hard enough.
          Same Ammo the rest of the day, no issues with top tube.

Could just be a bad box
          Last edited by Rrudo74901; 09-08-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
            No issues with blazer aluminum with my S&w model 10 or my wife’s SP101.

How old is the box? You got me worried now. My wife has a box of 357 blazer HP that she uses as carry ammo. That is a few years old
            A year or 2. Came off my .38 shelf, I used it last night because the range is the only place I use this aluminum semi-wad cutter ammo

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
              So last night at Freeport I broke out a box of Blazer Aluminum case 158gr .38 Spl. Fired a few round and the got the dreaded “click”. Ok, shit happens, tried again and had 2 more not fire. I wasn’t sure WTF but after 3 no goes out of 10 rounds I put the ammo and the gun away.
              Ok, I don’t normally shoot aluminum but I’ve never had this problem before. I’ve heard before that Blazer aluminum ammo uses a particular hard primer that makes reloading near impossible and wondered if that was the issue.
              Anyway, I’ll be doing a deep clean and inspection of the revolver today but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
              i have actually tried successfully to reload the 9mm blazer ,,,,just out of curiosity-------------------it can be done
              never had a problem with them , even ten year old stuff

Comment

Take a few pics of the fired rounds and send an email over to Federal. They might send you a box or two of ammo.

Comment

I had started to use American Eagle in a Savage .223 bolt action. Out of 300 or so rounds I had 7-8 or so no fires.
                  Switched to PMC and never had a problem since.
                  I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                  I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post

i have actually tried successfully to reload the 9mm blazer ,,,,just out of curiosity-------------------it can be done
                    never had a problem with them , even ten year old stuff
                    From what I’ve read they use a different primer for the aluminum case, apparently difficult to get them. I’ve shot plenty of Blazer in the past with no issues, that’s why this struck me as odd. 3 out of 10 ! There’s a chance it was the gun too, no proof on my part that it was the ammo, just seemed more likely than the gun.

Comment

CCI primers are notoriously hard, but they should have gone off. I've switched to Winchester primers for my 38 reloads because I was getting light hits with my Model 10 in double-action. Win is better, but not 100%. Something is not right with my gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat M View Post
                        CCI primers are notoriously hard, but they should have gone off. I've switched to Winchester primers for my 38 reloads because I was getting light hits with my Model 10 in double-action. Win is better, but not 100%. Something is not right with my gun.
                        Check the strain screw on the hammer spring under the grips and be sure it is tight.

Some people loosen this screw and some even shorten the screw to decrease trigger pull weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

Check the strain screw on the hammer spring under the grips and be sure it is tight.

Some people loosen this screw and some even shorten the screw to decrease trigger pull weight.
                          The strain screw is tight, but you may be correct that it was shortened. The gun is too clean to be a service weapon, and some wood was relieved for the right thumb. It fires 100% single-action, but maybe one out of six don't go off double-action. I'd like to get that fixed.
                          Last edited by Pat M; 09-08-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

From what I’ve read they use a different primer for the aluminum case, apparently difficult to get them. I’ve shot plenty of Blazer in the past with no issues, that’s why this struck me as odd. 3 out of 10 ! There’s a chance it was the gun too, no proof on my part that it was the ammo, just seemed more likely than the gun.
                            they may use a different primer , but small pistol primers fit and worked , i made five rounds and they worked ---experiment done and over

Comment

Working...
                            X