Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory Velocity Tests

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Factory Velocity Tests

    Can anyone tell me what is the barrel length when you see velocities on ammo boxes? I tried looking online, even under the exact ammo boxes I have, and couldn't find it.

    Thanks.
    "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

    #2
    If the rounds come from a Glock add 50 fps as disassociation incentive.
    "Except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall God governs in the affairs of men. I have lived, Sir, a long time..."
    Ben Franklin, arguably our least faith driven founding father

    Comment


      #3
      Excellent question,
      Last edited by mickeyblueyes; 02-08-2020, 05:37 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        I have a lot of old gun catalogs, and they list the barrel lengths used along with the velocities for all the cartridges. Are we talking rifle or pistol? For rifle, the standard is a 24" barrel. But for pistol, it depends on the caliber. For example 25 auto is 2", 380 -3", 38 special 4". etc. If you name a brand and caliber, I can see if I have the exact info. Granted it may be 20 years old, but I'm sure the barrel lengths used are standard for the caliber.
        Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
        Certified NROI RSO

        Member Freeport R&R

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
          I have a lot of old gun catalogs, and they list the barrel lengths used along with the velocities for all the cartridges. Are we talking rifle or pistol? For rifle, the standard is a 24" barrel. But for pistol, it depends on the caliber. For example 25 auto is 2", 380 -3", 38 special 4". etc. If you name a brand and caliber, I can see if I have the exact info. Granted it may be 20 years old, but I'm sure the barrel lengths used are standard for the caliber.
          I'm just looking at a couple of boxes on my desk; GEMTECH 22 LR 42 grain, 1020 fps. But no mention of out of what length barrel.
          I also have here some .44 Special 165 grain, 900 fps....no barrel length.
          "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

          Comment


            #6
            I believe most 22 is measured out of a 20" barrel. 44special/44mag have both 4" & 6" listed.
            Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
            Certified NROI RSO

            Member Freeport R&R

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
              I believe most 22 is measured out of a 20" barrel. 44special/44mag have both 4" & 6" listed.
              Yeah, I've heard a few different things, but it would be nice to actually have a velocity and barrel length together. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
              "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

              Comment


                #8
                maybe you can match it up:
                http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html
                "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." –Thomas B. Reed (1886)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
                  It's OK, but not really what I'm looking for.
                  "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Have you tried sending an email to the manufacturer(s)?
                    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                    Tucker Max

                    Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                    Finicky Fat Guy

                    Comment


                      #11
                      tI just looked at Federal's website, and under the individual cartridge details, they list a barrel length, but it seems like only for pistol rounds. No length for rifle or rimfire rounds. Remington's website ballistic charts show barrel lengths, Winchester's site doesn't show it either.
                      Kind of annoying to try to research each load, for sure.
                      NRA Patron Life Member
                      Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
                      NRA RSO

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
                        Have you tried sending an email to the manufacturer(s)?
                        No, I did want to know a specific cartridge, but now I want to know about more. I have lots of different calibers and and brands, so I really rather not have to contact all the companies about each one.
                        "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

                          No, I did want to know a specific cartridge, but now I want to know about more. I have lots of different calibers and and brands, so I really rather not have to contact all the companies about each one.
                          True, but one manufacture may give you an answer that explains all, for instance,” We list for the caliber’s standard barrel length as determined by SAAMI, or ATF” or something along those lines.
                          "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                          Tucker Max

                          Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                          Finicky Fat Guy

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

                            True, but one manufacture may give you an answer that explains all, for instance,” We list for the caliber’s standard barrel length as determined by SAAMI, or ATF” or something along those lines.
                            True, but then you'd think that info would be readily available online.......I'll try it though.
                            "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Most 6.5, 308, 6mm are 22-26in barrel

                              usually it’s in the box.

                              if you look in reloading manuals it tells you the primer, test rifle, etc

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X