DOD Picks 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo from Hornady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOD Picks 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo from Hornady

I have to admit, Hornady is some quality ammo.

Grand Island, NE — A specialized group from the U.S. Department of Defense has purchased an undisclosed amount of 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition from Hornady for its long-range sniper platform.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was tested and selected for engagements from 0 to 1,200 yards.

The purchase agreement coincides with a Department of Defense decision to replace the MK13 bolt-action 300 Win Mag with a 20-inch semiautomatic AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

With less recoil, the change will provide enhanced accuracy and performance, as well as reduced ammunition and rifle weight, compared to the MK13 300 Win Mag.

The 6.5 Creedmoor from Hornady provides world-class performance in a factory-loaded cartridge. The high-performance, match-accurate round features an excellent cartridge-to-chamber relationship and shoots well in all guns.

The 6.5 Creedmoor features proven Hornady bullets, specially selected cases, carefully matched powder and stringent quality control.

Grand Island, NE — A specialized group from the U.S. Department of Defense has purchased an undisclosed amount of 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition from Hornady for its long-range sniper platform. The 6.5 Creedmoor was tested and selected for engagements from 0 to 1,200 yards. The purchase agreement coincides with a Department of Defense decision to replace ... Read more DOD Picks 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo from Hornady

Interesting...and inevitable.
    Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

I always had a gut feeling the 300 win mag would have a short life cycle
      The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

I don’t know I’m asking, Will you have the same accuracy at 1200 yards with a semi auto AR platform as a tried and true bolt action? That’s 3/4 of a mile.........
        what bullet would be engaged after 1200 yards?

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
          I don’t know I’m asking, Will you have the same accuracy at 1200 yards with a semi auto AR platform as a tried and true bolt action? That’s 3/4 of a mile.........
          what bullet would be engaged after 1200 yards?
          Bolt guns are still more accurate. The military hasn’t given up on bolt guns. They are now switching over to the Barrett MRAD in both the Army and Marines

the 6.5 creedmoor can go beyond 1200 yards. But beyond that will be determined since the military had ordered multiple caliber barrels with the new MRAD
          The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

While the 6.5 creedmoor as great ballistics and is lighter i question it’s stopping power vs 30 cal. I doubt the 6.5 will be replacing .300 win Mag all the way and they will keep it in their bolt guns until they decide if they are going to go to .300 PRC.
            300 win mag can reach out a bit further than 6.5... the calibers are really in 2 different categories

Comment

It allows snipers and operators an option, choices are good things to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrob View Post
                While the 6.5 creedmoor as great ballistics and is lighter i question it’s stopping power vs 30 cal. I doubt the 6.5 will be replacing .300 win Mag all the way and they will keep it in their bolt guns until they decide if they are going to go to .300 PRC.
                300 win mag can reach out a bit further than 6.5... the calibers are really in 2 different categories
                No comparison between 6.5 creedmoor and a .308. The 6.5 creedmoor has more energy at 1200 yards then a 357 magnum at point blank range and the accuracy is dramatic. Old school snipers like Ryan Cleckner even switched and fully supports the 6.5 creedmoor these days

while I’m sure 300 win mag will still be used. But why deal with the shooter fatigue and possible flinching issues that comes with it. Like Chris Kyle used to say. You don’t need stopping power to take out armored vehicles, just shoot the driver through the window

6.5 creedmoor is the round of the future with various 6mm following up behind it

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post

No comparison between 6.5 creedmoor and a .308. The 6.5 creedmoor has more energy at 1200 yards then a 357 magnum at point blank range and the accuracy is dramatic. Old school snipers like Ryan Cleckner even switched and fully supports the 6.5 creedmoor these days

while I’m sure 300 win mag will still be used. But why deal with the shooter fatigue and possible flinching issues that comes with it. Like Chris Kyle used to say. You don’t need stopping power to take out armored vehicles, just shoot the driver through the window

6.5 creedmoor is the round of the future with various 6mm following up behind it
                  I’m a big fan of the 6.5 creedmoor, it’s the round I shoot the most through my AXMC, but there are already better performing rounds than that.. the 6.5 prc blows it out of the water similar to 300 win mag vs 300 prc.
                  Last edited by Bigrob; 05-03-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I’m a big fan of the 6.5 creedmoor, it’s the round I shot the most through my AXMC, but there are already better performing rounds than that.. the 6.5 prc blows it out of the water similar to 300 win mag vs 300 prc.
                    Agreed, but you know it takes the government at least ten years to catch up to what the private sector is doing. If ever

Comment

Way back when I used a Win Model 70 in .30-'06 with a Unertl scope on it. They pulled them and gave us Remington 700s in .308 with a Redfield Accu-Trac 3x9, with a plastic range scale inside that melted in the heat. We also were given (at times) a .50 BMG bolt rifle that was fire, strip bolt and optic, destroy receiver with Thermite and run Damn thing weighed 25 pounds if an ounce. That said, the 6.5 is a great round for accuracy and energy. The 6.5-284 is a great round, but since it is not new and flashy no one cares, same goes for .260 Remington. The .338 Lapua has a place, but most times you do not need it, the 6.5 will suffice. Lighter, less shooter fatigue, more ammo in your kit. Ordnance Boards are always fighting the last war, they don't want to look ahead, they have piles of equipment already
                      Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Working...
                      X