Is now the time to get into reloading??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is now the time to get into reloading??

Have occasionally thought about getting into reloading but with ammo prices where they were, really didn't think it was worth the cost and effort. With things where they are now, is it time to reconsider? Are reloading tools, supplies and components just as scarce as finished ammo right now?

The time to get into reloading is when ammo prices are good, when ammo prices are good it is more economical to just the ammo most of the time and save the brass, you will also see more incentives to purchase equipment at cheaper prices. When ammo prices go up components go up as well.

with that said it’s never to late.

Comment

I took Mike's reloading class last year and started saving brass, but didn't end up buying anything before the shortage hit.

I can think of at least four times I went to post a WTB for a Dillon 650 or 750, but didnt.

I am kicking myself now

Comment

Getting components right now, especially primers, is hard and costly.
        Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
        Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
          Getting components right now, especially primers, is hard and costly.
          Yup

Comment

It depends on what you are looking for in accuracy, assuming you are looking for the max. If so, now is always a good choice. If you are looking for minute of rabbit at 100 yards or center mass accuracy at 100 yards, stock up on factory made ammo when prices suit your needs.

Comment

I’m thankful for this forum and that other place for meeting people who turned me into a hoarding reloading fool. Cuomo and Obama also helped. I can honestly say I’m sitting quit comfortably . Oh and start reloading it will only help

Comment

Components are scarce now just like ammo. Like Phil I stockpiled.
                NRA Life member

Comment

If its to save money, it depends what your time is worth. Reloading isn't just stuffing shells. Its time spent shopping for components, picking up brass, reading manuals, setting up tools, shining brass, cleaning out primer pockets, trimming cases, lubing cases, etc. When you see a loading tool tout 400 rounds per hour, it doesn't calculate in all this stuff.

In my youth I reloaded everything, rifle -pistol, even shotgun. But at my age and station, my time is better spent just working a little extra to pay for factory stuff to feed my hobby needs.

Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
                    If its to save money, it depends what your time is worth. Reloading isn't just stuffing shells. Its time spent shopping for components, picking up brass, reading manuals, setting up tools, shining brass, cleaning out primer pockets, trimming cases, lubing cases, etc. When you see a loading tool tout 400 rounds per hour, it doesn't calculate in all this stuff.

In my youth I reloaded everything, rifle -pistol, even shotgun. But at my age and station, my time is better spent just working a little extra to pay for factory stuff to feed my hobby needs.
                    You're right on all points. I reload for everything & rather enjoy it. Just like tying my own flies & building rods. I view it as an extension to the sport. You also have the advantage of tailoring loads to match your shooting. It takes time & it's not for everybody.
                    NRA Life member

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

All this, but you forgot time spent testing loads. I find that to be the biggest pain in the ass. Going to the range with between 10 and 50 rounds each of several recipes, cataloging performance, hoping one of those recipes is "it" so you can move on to making a production run. Once I've gotten it down, I seem to pick up a new caliber or a gun that doesn't like existing recipes and it's time to start again.

Comment

ALL OF THE ABOVE
                        i have been loading for a long time , have enough stuff to keep me busy for a while . I have also taught others to load .
                        i have Dillon 550 machines . yup i can not load 600 a hour .. i spend 20-30 minutes a night load a couple hundred .
                        save you brass , if you need more ask away
                        look for sales on anything now if you want to load
                        my last competition i won and and deer i took was with my stuff

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
                          I’m thankful for this forum and that other place for meeting people who turned me into a hoarding reloading fool. Cuomo and Obama also helped. I can honestly say I’m sitting quit comfortably . Oh and start reloading it will only help
                          can I hear an Amen?
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sig View Post
                            Components are scarce now just like ammo. Like Phil I stockpiled.
                            very scarce...
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Comment

Tough finding primers, Varget, or Reloader 15 for my high power match .223 right now. I should have enough to last the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X