Thinking About Getting Into Reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking About Getting Into Reloading

As the title states I'm thinking about getting into reloading. I know I won't save any money, I'll just end up shooting more. I also know that I should read the ABC's of reloading like 27 times before I start. I do have a few questions.
    I am pretty set on wet tumbling my brass. I don't want any of the dust associated with dry tumbling. I was thinking of getting the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler and their heated drier since my wife would kill me if I put the brass in the oven on her cookie sheets, lol.
    Questions:
    1- Should I deprime the brass before wet tumbling? If so, is the Frankford hand deprimer GTG?
    2 - I was leaning towards the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. I'm not trying to break the bank and this seems like a good middle ground between single stage and progressive.
    3 - Are the Lee 4 piece carbide die sets GTG? I'm assuming the factory crimp die is important?
    Anything else worth knowing that I am missing? Thanks!

I don't reload so others should comment. But what about getting a used press and replacing the dies?
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
      I don't reload so others should comment. But what about getting a used press and replacing the dies?
      I'm open to that as long as it isn't beat up. Maybe someone here is looking to upgrade. The Lee Kit isn't that bad price wise (about $215).

Comment

I just figured there's a lot of almost new presses out there where some guy either couldn't figure out how to use it or lost interest.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

What caliber(s) do you plan to reload. You could reload without tumbling if you don't mind the used brass look.

Comment

I'm planing on reloading mostly .40 and .45. Maybe some .223/5.56.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
              I'm planing on reloading mostly .40 and .45. Maybe some .223/5.56.
              Dry tumbling isn't as bad as you think. A dryer sheet in the tumbler takes care of most of the dust. I have Thumbler's AR12 tumbler, it's a wet or dry unit, made in America too. I don't deprime before tumbling since I never saw any reason to. The primer pocket is sealed by the primer and whatever residue is in the flash hole will be pushed out by the depriming pin anyway. Unless you are loading match grade ammo, you can skip messing around with the primer pocket.
              Yes to the Lee four hole turret, yes to Lee dies. No to the Lee progressive press unless it's been re-engineered.
              Crimp everything, it's important especially for semi-auto.
              Get a good digital scale and a good digital caliper powder weight and OAL are important too.
              SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

2nd thumblers ar tumbler, you wont regret it, quiet, not dusty, can do wet tumbling and its made in USA

Comment

Turret press is good and the lee dies are GTG, lee progressives are garbage. I have 3 presses, one is the lee turret which I only use for rifle the other 2 are for pistol. I will warn you it will get expensive fast, you will be buying all the stuff that makes it a little faster and easier, If you want a detailed list of items let me know also what not to bother with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubbermittens View Post
                    Turret press is good and the lee dies are GTG, lee progressives are garbage. I have 3 presses, one is the lee turret which I only use for rifle the other 2 are for pistol. I will warn you it will get expensive fast, you will be buying all the stuff that makes it a little faster and easier, If you want a detailed list of items let me know also what not to bother with.
                    I would love a list of get or don't get. I'm in the collecting info phase right now. I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Comment

Forgot to ask which Thumler's tumbler you guys use. There seem to be a bunch of different models.

Comment

Will be following this closely as I am interested in reloading 45's as well.
                        Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
                          Forgot to ask which Thumler's tumbler you guys use. There seem to be a bunch of different models.
                          Didn't I say Model AR-12? Yes, yes I did! Rubber drum, quiet, and will do wet or dry.
                          SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Lee Turret Press Kit
                            .223 case length gauge (for trimming)
                            Caliper
                            Manual
                            Die Set (carbide for pistol)
                            Headspace gauge to measure how far back shoulder is being pushed)

Someone mentioned crimping everything. That's not necessarily true for rifle. Definately full-length resize for semi-auto rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat M View Post
                              Lee Turret Press Kit
                              .223 case length gauge (for trimming)
                              Caliper
                              Manual
                              Die Set (carbide for pistol)
                              Headspace gauge to measure how far back shoulder is being pushed)

Someone mentioned crimping everything. That's not necessarily true for rifle. Definately full-length resize for semi-auto rifle.
                              I mentioned crimping. But then again I read what calibers he wants to reload.

What is it with reading comprehension these days?

SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Working...
                              X