Powder Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder Issue

I'm having an issue with my reloads. I get semi burnt powder coming out of the muzzle. I pulled a bunch of shells and am finding that the powder is partly stuck to the shell. I use the sonic cleaner and dry the shells overnight, but it seems that there's some residue that's causing the powder to stick. Do you recommend rinsing the shells with water after cleaning? Any other ideas on drying too would be helpful.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

That seem to be a bit much unburnt powder. What powder, primer, case, and bullet????? How old is the powder, the primer and so on. Are you getting consistent ignition. Is it an automatic and is it cycling ??? More information please.
    How is accuracy ?

Comment

I would say that your cases are not 100% dry when you reloaded them

Comment

Originally posted by angelonm View Post
        That seem to be a bit much unburnt powder. What powder, primer, case, and bullet????? How old is the powder, the primer and so on. Are you getting consistent ignition. Is it an automatic and is it cycling ??? More information please.
        How is accuracy ?
        What's pictured is an unfired shell. I pulled some shells and found most look like this. The powder is less than a year old and stored in a plastic bin. I'm using CFE Pistol with Federal primers and a Rainier FMJ 230 grain RN head. It's in a 1911 which is cycling and accuracy is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
          I would say that your cases are not 100% dry when you reloaded them
          The shells are dry, but seem to have a film on the inside. After cleaning, do you rinse to get rid of any residue from the cleaner? Any suggestions? Maybe I'm using too much cleaner, or have too many shells in the unit when cleaning?

Comment

Looks like the inside is still wet when loading. What are you wet tumbling with? Rinsing can't hurt and you may want to dry longer or buy an old or cheap toaster oven and set it on low with the brass inside.
            Ben

Comment

Are you de-priming before or after wet tumbling? If after, water will be trapped within the primer pocket. And when you put in a new primer, you are basically pushing that water back into the case. Either de-prime before, or dry your cases in an oven at low temp, or use a dehydrator.
              Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
              Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

What kind of case lube ?

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
                  Looks like the inside is still wet when loading. What are you wet tumbling with? Rinsing can't hurt and you may want to dry longer or buy an old or cheap toaster oven and set it on low with the brass inside.
                  Using the Hornady sonic cleaner. I usually dry it on the boiler, but in the summer it doesn't run much so it doesn't help. A toaster over may help.

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
                    Are you de-priming before or after wet tumbling? If after, water will be trapped within the primer pocket. And when you put in a new primer, you are basically pushing that water back into the case. Either de-prime before, or dry your cases in an oven at low temp, or use a dehydrator.
                    Yes, I deprime the cases first. I may try the toaster idea too. The outside of the cases are dry and I leave room between them so air flows, but the basement is more humid and they may not be getting completely dry inside.

Comment

Originally posted by 230Grains View Post

Yes, I deprime the cases first. I may try the toaster idea too. The outside of the cases are dry and I leave room between them so air flows, but the basement is more humid and they may not be getting completely dry inside.
                      Buy a cheap food dehydrator

Comment

Working...
                      X