Wi-Fi thermostats through Nat Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi thermostats through Nat Grid

I've been looking for a wifi thermostat for a few weeks and came across the offers through Nat Grid.

https://marketplace.nationalgridus.com

Picked up Honeywell brand for $19 after the instant rebate. they tax you on the $119 full price but they charged the credit card $58 for 2.
    Home depot still has these for $120.

They've got other brands and models but this is all i needed.

I dare a bad review for that one. I got their email as well and looked right st that same thermostat. My issue is that I would need 3...2 for the heating zones and one for ac. .

Comment

Isn’t there an acceptance of NatGrid being able to take control of the stat if they decide to reduce supply or conserve energy? That was an issue w the electronic meters, I thought the stat deals with them contained similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
        Isn’t there an acceptance of NatGrid being able to take control of the stat if they decide to reduce supply or conserve energy? That was an issue w the electronic meters, I thought the stat deals with them contained similar.
        Forgot about that part.. I didn't read that far into it... no way would I give them the keys to the ship.

Comment

I came to say this. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I have wi-fi thermostats in the TN house that I bought. (not from BTES) The only reason was so I can turn up heat while I'm driving down or turn down the AC when I'm driving down. Plus it helped to monitor temps while away. Now I'm trying to see if I can get an old mercury thermostat to work with my heat pumps.
          The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

I did not see that for the LI rebates, illnhave to check again. the queens rebates are for $50 and if you opt in for that remote monitoring, they give you an additional $80 on top. I wouldnt opt in for that either

Comment

I did the Rebates last year and yes, that is part of it.
              Not because you have the smart thermostat but if you want the rebates. You don’t have to let them know if you don’t do the program.
              but heres the deal.
              you can then turn it back.
              i went through this summer without an issue.
              but then, I dont turn my house to a freezer anyway
              "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

I did the Rebates last year and yes, that is part of it.
                Not because you have the smart thermostat but if you want the rebates. You don’t have to let them know if you don’t do the program.
                but heres the deal.
                you can then turn it back.
                i went through this summer without an issue.
                but then, I dont turn my house to a freezer anyway
                It’s probably not that big of an issue...probably. Like Drew says, I don’t like giving any control over to the other side. Who’s to say when or why they might decide to lower your heat or air by 2-5-10* ? Does the WiFi capability allow any Alexa abilities for the utility?
                With AC and Co. dicking around with gas supplies and utility control who is to say what the down side is a year from now.
                I am happy enough with my stat the way it is, they can keep the $50.

Comment

It’s probably not that big of an issue...probably. Like Drew says, I don’t like giving any control over to the other side. Who’s to say when or why they might decide to lower your heat or air by 2-5-10* ? Does the WiFi capability allow any Alexa abilities for the utility?
                  With AC and Co. dicking around with gas supplies and utility control who is to say what the down side is a year from now.
                  Bear with me here.

My father used to say he would NEVER pay for TV. Now we pay for radio.

Some of us now line up to let the utility company set our thermostats for a rebate. How long until they set all of our temps?

We have always been at war with Eurasia.
                  The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

it’s so simple.
                    you simply change your password. Then they can’t do anything
                    As far as their control, they have it anyway. They actually can lower the power coming to a neighborhood and you have no control over that.
                    they can shut down power if they want.
                    Remember Con Ed doing that many summers and they are doing it now in Kalifornia.
                    if I remember correctly they said they wouldn’t change it by more than 2 degrees anyway

the rebate is nothing though. $80.( which is what I got) isn’t the best part of the s mart thermostats
                    Mine are hooked up to my google mini ( same as Alexa) because I choose to do so.
                    As OUP said, it’s nice to be able to change your settings when your away and also to monitor it.
                    by using the functionality and ease of the smart thermostat I have saved more Money than they cost me.
                    someone with a changing schedule like I have can’t use a regular programmable.

some people worry about the utility knowing about you.
                    or using Alexa or google they can spy on you.
                    They do so anyway.
                    everytime you go to a website, use your cell phone or your TV you are being tracked.
                    the least thing I give a shit anyone knowing about me is what temperature I have my Livingroom set to.

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

Bear with me here.

My father used to say he would NEVER pay for TV. Now we pay for radio.

Some of us now line up to let the utility company set our thermostats for a rebate. How long until they set all of our temps?

We have always been at war with Eurasia.
                      Pay for radio? Well that's just crazy talk. Never in my life will I pay for radio.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

Pay for radio? Well that's just crazy talk. Never in my life will I pay for radio.
                        I just happened to get off of an hour long phone call with Sirius/XM tonight.

Three cars are down to 5 dollars a month with a free streaming for one device so we can send it via Bluetooth to speakers in the house.

0C321D62-99ED-47DB-BB82-1AA841B44ED6.png

Comment

I just happened to get off of an hour long phone call with Sirius/XM tonight.

Three cars are down to 5 dollars a month with a free streaming for one device so we can send it via Bluetooth to speakers in the house.

0C321D62-99ED-47DB-BB82-1AA841B44ED6.png
                          $5 a month for all three, or each?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

$5 a month for all three, or each?
                            Each.

Comment

Each.
                              So you harassed them for an hour and they decided to give in because they were frightened?
                              You learned that from Joe Biden didn;t you?
                              LOL

Would you call Sirrius XM for me?
                              I'm paying like $15 a month for 1 vehicle!

Comment

Working...
                              X