Wi-Fi thermostats through Nat Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

So you harassed them for an hour and they decided to give in because they were frightened?
    You learned that from Joe Biden didn;t you?
    LOL

Would you call Sirrius XM for me?
    I'm paying like $15 a month for 1 vehicle!
    I was at $14.52 a month for two cars (my wife was separate) Last month they billed me $34.54 so I called them. They said my promotion from last year when I called and bitched had expired. So I said cancel them and just give me the phone streaming since my phone can Bluetooth the car. An hour later we switched the wife’s car to mine and we reached a deal on streaming.
    Last edited by OH UNCLE PAUL; 12-01-2019, 08:42 AM.
    The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

Pay for radio? Well that's just crazy talk. Never in my life will I pay for radio.
      First, if you're paying label price for the service you're paying waaaaay too much. I've never paid more than $100 for the year (and that's with taxes and fees). There are ways to negotiate it.

Second, I feel having XM is also a good SHTF tool. Local news may be out in a disaster but you might still be able to get national or international news.
      I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
      I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

ok, to clear this up, I installed and connected the wifi and registered to the honeywell app and then got the option to "OPT in" with PSEG for an additional $85 rebate. if I did, I guess I can theoretically make money back or at least get a credit (???) or maybe just buy a more feature rich thermo for cheaper.
        I checked for my queens location and they have this rebate for Con-ed too, for a/c control.
        This is through Nat grid so it would be for your heating I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
          Isn’t there an acceptance of NatGrid being able to take control of the stat if they decide to reduce supply or conserve energy? That was an issue w the electronic meters, I thought the stat deals with them contained similar.
          I was in their LIPA Edge program for over 10 years.
          The thermostat reads "curtailment" when they raise the A/C. You can override it at no penalty.

I saw that happen less than 10 times when I was in the program. It is a non-issue in my opinion, especially if you are not home during those rare summer afternoons.
          ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
          Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Comment

You might need more wites from the boilr to the thermostat, those things don't like batteries.

Comment

"Hello Dave, why are you trying to override my setting, that's NOT what you agreed to in the contract."

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                  Isn’t there an acceptance of NatGrid being able to take control of the stat if they decide to reduce supply or conserve energy? That was an issue w the electronic meters, I thought the stat deals with them contained similar.
                  I bought two Ecobee thermostats last year using National Grid. There are several rebates at play here, so I think that leads to your confusion.

1) National Grid has a website that allows you to purchase smart thermostats at a discounted price.
                  2) PSE&G has (or maybe had, I haven't checked) a rebate program that gives you cash when you buy a qualifying smart thermostat.
                  These two (at least at the time I bought mine) programs are not mutually exclusive, so I was able to double dip.

Neither of these programs have anything to do with the separate $85 PSE&G rebate they give if you CHOOSE to opt into the program that allows them to turn off your AIR CONDITIONING at certain times. There is no program that allows them to alter your heating!

Originally posted by incognito View Post

I was in their LIPA Edge program for over 10 years.
                  The thermostat reads "curtailment" when they raise the A/C. You can override it at no penalty.

I saw that happen less than 10 times when I was in the program. It is a non-issue in my opinion, especially if you are not home during those rare summer afternoons.
                  For those who aren't familiar with this program, unlike the general energy savings rebates above, this is specifically a program designed to peak shave electrical demand at times that the electrical grid is under maximum stress*. It is an opt-in program, from which I believe you can opt out at any time (though you may forfeit the rebate). During certain peak afternoons (generally for a couple of hours somewhere between noon and 4pm), they will turn off your AC. But if you're home at the time, you can always bypass the call manually.

* So, what is maximum stress on the grid? Well, there are a number of different scenarios, but they generally center around hot days with lots of AC use. While Long Island imports a lot of it's peak power from neighboring grids, a regional heatwave that covers from DC to Boston would make importing power excessively expensive. Or if there's a problem with one of the major transmission cables. Also, grid operators are required to have a larger excess of available capacity when thunderstorms are in the forecast, so those days of hot/unstable weather are of particular concern.

Back to the peak shaving programs. Yes, your past experiences were that they were not used much. That's because while grid operators have the ability to call in on these programs, they also have the fear of "crying wolf", and of losing participants due to over-use. So in the past, they've been VERY conservative about when to call in these "favors". That has changed since last summer's Con Edison outages, and the public outcry for more stable power that our asshole governor in chief has pandered to. Cuomo has directly directed grid operators to more actively push and USE their curtailment programs, and you can now expect several activations per season. Whether or not that's something that would bother you is a different story though.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post
                    ....they will turn off your AC.....
                    I never saw them turn it OFF.
                    I saw the temperature RAISED to 78 degrees in those mid afternoon periods. I normally keep it around 76 degrees.

Nevertheless, it was never a hardship for me. You get hot, you readjust the setting. The end. I never saw them re raise the temperature.

ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)

Comment

I never saw them turn it OFF.
                      I saw the temperature RAISED to 78 degrees in those mid afternoon periods. I normally keep it around 76 degrees.

Nevertheless, it was never a hardship for me. You get hot, you readjust the setting. The end. I never saw them re raise the temperature.
                      Fair enough. I do know that the earliest version of this program (which pre-dates Wi-Fi thermostats by many years) was indeed supposed to turn off your AC. Usually for an hour or two. But now that Wi-Fi control has come out, bumping up the setpoint makes perfect sense.

On the commercial side, the DLRP, CSRP and NYISO-SCR all just demand load curtailment based on a pre-arranged value, but those programs also pay back a lot more than $85, and offer recurring payments at that.

Comment

I don't need a wifi thermostat no matter what the rebate is.

I don't need a wifi connected oven, microwave, fridge, etc etc etc.
                        I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                        I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
                          I don't need a wifi thermostat no matter what the rebate is.

I don't need a wifi connected oven, microwave, fridge, etc etc etc.
                          It's actually really nice to go away for the weekend with the heat down to 55, and dial it up to about 68 four hours before returning home. Same with the A/C in the summer..............

Comment

Same for remote start in the car

Comment

I have been told that you can have the thermostat settings change based on how close to home you are (your phone is).
                              That sounds pretty cool.

Comment

I have been told that you can have the thermostat settings change based on how close to home you are (your phone is).
                                That sounds pretty cool.
                                Yes, if you choose to do that
                                "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Working...
                                X