Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xcentrk
    replied
    I picked up a Beretta 92FS INOX as my first. It felt the best in my hands when I was at the store. I'd have to say though, now it is my least favorite. Mostly because I do not like the slide safety/decocker. I am still glad I got it though as now I know for the future purchases.... and I still do shoot it, just not that much.

Leave a comment:

• IlDuce
    replied
    Mine was a smith and Wesson 4506 square trigger guard. I shoot it every time I go to the range. Only problem I've came across is holsters.. Everyone has them for round trigger guards.

Leave a comment:

• Gopedxr7
    replied
    Buy a 22lr. Fun and cheap to shoot. My first is a ruger mark 1. Great gun

Leave a comment:

• Grifhunter
    replied
    I'd get something in a .22. I like High Standard 22s because they are just so damn awesome: terrific triggers, one hole accuracy and 2 second takedown with no tools (by pushbutton). My first 2 pistols were High Standards.

I also like the S & W's Single/Double actions 9mms. Model 39 series. Real safe gun for noobs.

Leave a comment:

• Peepsight
    replied
    First select a round that you are comfortable shooting - one that doesn't leave your hands trembling while you hold a beer after going through a box of ammo. Then go pick up different models at the store and test drive the ones that appeal to you.

Leave a comment:

• Ef13
    replied
    I would suggest renting or going with a few people to the range. I shot all sorts of pistols from revolvers to Semi's and all sorts of different calibers, Glock, Colt, Beretta, Ruger, Sig, XDS. All fun guns to shoot but ultimately I went G22 as I wanted something easy to clean wouldn't break the bank and goes bang every-time. It also fit my big hands nicely. The G43 is my go to carry it is small and you don't even know it is there. At some point I would like to get a 1911 but at this point and with the price of kids sports I can't afford it yet. One day! You'll will know when you find the right one for your first gun. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Chewy77
    replied
    Mine was a hipoint 380 still have it

Leave a comment:

• Yanke1624
    replied
    My first was a Sig P226. I was at Campsite and told them I had little handgun experience and they put a bunch on the table for me to handle and help me pick what felt comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyblueyes
    replied
    Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
    What do you mean by this? Not being nasty just trying to understand your comment.
    I say it because my belief is while both rifles and handguns both can be enjoyable they can both lead to dangerous consequences if not on your game.
    Ok so I think because of the size and ease of handling handguns are even more dangerous in untrained hands.

So my point , a revolver has a heavier trigger pull from a double action than a semi auto ever will. You can look at it see the hammer is down,with a semi there is always one in the chamber ready to go, even if you drop the magazine. I just think ,that a new comer to pistols,should have a revolver, get a small caliber that has minimal recoil, so that you do not develop bad habits .

Some semi autos have 2 And 3 lb trigger pulls ,with out strict discipline you could easily touch that trigger on recoil,and let another shot off.
    Maybe some one can add more to this?

Leave a comment:

• Barnslayer
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't know you like Glocks.

• sickofny
    replied
    My first was a used 4" Colt Python back when they could be had for around $300, a very long time ago. Started with .38's for a month or so until I learned how to use it. Then graduated to .357's and really learned how to use it. My next was a Springfield Armory 1911a1 and I was very ready for it after the .357's. I would strongly recommend a 4" or 6" S&W model 686, 586 or 27, 28 to learn on and a used one keep costs down. A S&W revolver is like fine wine they only get better with age

Leave a comment:

• Havfun
    replied
    mine was the g19
    great easy to use as well as easy to clean .

Leave a comment:

• Barfly
    replied
    Mine was a Glock 43. I wanted a dependable everyday carry that wouldn't break the bank and it fit the bill. It's not a competition piece but it's light, reliable and goes bang every time which suits my needs.

Leave a comment:

• vmtcmt
    replied
    Been saying for a while, if I had done my homework, I would have went this way, and saved myself a lot of money:

Glock 22 in .40 S&W Gen3 or Gen4 makes little difference, at least to me.
    Lone Wolf 40-9 9mm conversion barrel
    Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit

One gun, around $1K give or take, but a well rounded package you can learn on, and grow with. You can even compete in local matches if you'd like, and be able to shoot two different centerfire classes, plus .22 matches.

The same applies to a G19/23, but mine are a bit small for competition, at least for me. Go full size. A noob should be more concerned with learning to shoot than carrying.

Leave a comment:

• Rrudo74901
    replied
    Look at your budget, fit and feel.
    I love SIG, HK. But you cannot argue with a Glock 19. I have a bunch of modern combat pistols, most of the ones mentioned here, I have. I carry the G19 or G43. They are comfortable and simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X