FN 509 ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FN 509 ???

To quote the song ... Oops I did it again.

I purchased a FN 509 yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be done with the Suffolk shuffle and have everything squared away and on my license by Wednesday. Then, I get to shoot her and see if I'm even compatible with the little gal.

Anyone else have one ?? Pro's / Con's ?? (I guess I shoulda asked that question yesterday).

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post
    To quote the song ... Oops I did it again.

I purchased a FN 509 yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be done with the Suffolk shuffle and have everything squared away and on my license by Wednesday. Then, I get to shoot her and see if I'm even compatible with the little gal.

Anyone else have one ?? Pro's / Con's ?? (I guess I shoulda asked that question yesterday).
    Ironically enough, I picked up an FNS-9 TODAY. Just watched a video comparing the FNS-9 to the 509. Seems they're pretty much the same gun with a few differences....I've really wanted the FNS-9c for quite a while - seems much more ergonomic than a Glock 26.
    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Ironically enough, I picked up an FNS-9 TODAY. Just watched a video comparing the FNS-9 to the 509. Seems they're pretty much the same gun with a few differences....I've really wanted the FNS-9c for quite a while - seems much more ergonomic than a Glock 26.
      Our friend at the Gun Store-Fun Store told me the 509 is basically the FNS 9-S modified for the recent competition to become the new US Army sidearm.. I guess it lost because it passed the drop test (LOL). Larger grip and magazine capacity (if you live in Amerika) and a few other very minor changes.

I'm all done doing the Suffolk Shuffle, and she's happily residing in my safe. Hopefully, I'll get her out on the dance floor tomorrow evening.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post

Our friend at the Gun Store-Fun Store told me the 509 is basically the FNS 9-S modified for the recent competition to become the new US Army sidearm.. I guess it lost because it passed the drop test (LOL). Larger grip and magazine capacity (if you live in Amerika) and a few other very minor changes.

I'm all done doing the Suffolk Shuffle, and she's happily residing in my safe. Hopefully, I'll get her out on the dance floor tomorrow evening.
        I shot it today for the first time because my other gun went down during training. I shot it at close range at different types of kevlar and other bullet-resistant fabrics, so I haven't truly got to check it out. Maybe tomorrow.

I will say that the first thing I don't like about it is that it has a long grip (to accommodate the 17-round size mags), much like the Glock 17. I have average hands and the extra space in unnecessary for me and is actually a hindrance to concealed carry.
        The trigger was a bit creeky, but after my usual new-gun 100's of dry-fires - it seems to have smoothed out.
        The slide is thin enough (top part is milled thinner than the bottom, which I love) and just a tad higher than a Glock - which is acceptable to me.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I shot it today for the first time because my other gun went down during training...
          OK, what was the other gun that went down and what broke? You know, so the XYZ fanboys can say what a piece of shit it is.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
            OK, what was the other gun that went down and what broke? You know, so the XYZ fanboys can say what a piece of shit it is.
            I had an "OH SHIT" moment on the range today. Finishing up a moving course of fire, my last trigger pull failed to touch-off a round. As I tap/racked the slide, I got a TWO-ROUND-BURST SLAM FIRE. My trigger finger was nowhere near the trigger. Of course I was pointing downrange and both rounds went safely into the berm. I thought maybe the firing pin got stuck forward, but later I had only a few moments to check the gun and noticed definite trigger problems.

I was using a Lone Wolf Timberwolf compact frame with a Glock 19 slide assembly. I have approximately 500 rounds through this in the last few weeks without any issues......

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I had an "OH SHIT" moment on the range today. Finishing up a moving course of fire, my last trigger pull failed to touch-off a round. As I tap/racked the slide, I got a TWO-ROUND-BURST SLAM FIRE. My trigger finger was nowhere near the trigger. Of course I was pointing downrange and both rounds went safely into the berm. I thought maybe the firing pin got stuck forward, but later I had only a few moments to check the gun and noticed definite trigger problems.

I was using a Lone Wolf Timberwolf compact frame with a Glock 19 slide assembly. I have approximately 500 rounds through this in the last few weeks without any issues......
              Oh shit!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post

Oh shit!!!
                It was quite a moment....I had chambered a round with that firearm in my home several times. It would've sucked to have shot my good ole' desk, or for two rounds to have been rattling around my full safe.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

It was quite a moment....I had chambered a round with that firearm in my home several times. It would've sucked to have shot my good ole' desk, or for two rounds to have been rattling around my full safe.
                  I guess, my question is, even if you address the trigger, in the back of you mind, having had this happen, would you feel comfortable with the pistol going forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post

I guess, my question is, even if you address the trigger, in the back of you mind, having had this happen, would you feel comfortable with the pistol going forward?
                    ABSOLUTELY NOT. That frame is dead to me. I will send it back to Timberwolf to check it, but I will never carry that frame as is - possibly with a new LPK..

* I would like to say that I did NOT get this frame directly from Timberwolf, so I can't really blame them at this point.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Working...
                    X