1911 "Bobtail" Modification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1911 "Bobtail" Modification

Does anybody do or know who does custom 1911 work, I'm looking to have a Bobtail modification done. Thanks!

No advice locally. But a bobtail isn't too crazy of a mod as far as I remember. You're gonna need a new bobtail mainspring housing and an officer size spring. Other than that it's a bunch of grinding and smoothing.

Comment

recently I've gotten into modifying my 1911s. Check brownells and midway for a bob tail jig. Should guide the cut and the spot you'll need to drill for the main spring pin. As far as spring weights, ask in the gunsmithing subs on 1911 forum or 1911addicts.
      as far as long island gunsmiths, there are none that i know of that are good. There was one guy claiming to be one and he butchered my friends Wilson combat, installing a front sight... backwards!

Comment

LOVE the bobtail 1911's. I don't know how to make one, so I bought one from the factory (Sig Nightmare Carry).
        No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I worked for a Custom 1911 builder briefly. It shouldn't be too hard for you to do at home. Hardest part is drilling the correct location for the main spring pin. Then it's some cutting and filing. An experienced gun smith will rough it out with a right angle die grinder like this.
          http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jat-...grinder/505482

I would suggest a beginner avoid power tools as you can get into trouble fast with them.

Comment

It’s easy peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebill View Post
              There was one guy claiming to be one and he butchered my friends Wilson combat, installing a front sight... backwards!
              That thing was rough man, he had pics of it on 1911Addicts IIRC....

Comment

found this...
                https://rifleshooter.com/2017/12/how-to-bobtail-a-1911/

Comment

Originally posted by Jarheadsergeant View Post

That thing was rough man, he had pics of it on 1911Addicts IIRC....
                  yeah, that's the one. Didn't want to say the guys name, maybe he was just having a bad day. My friend had wilson refinish it and then ended up trading it anyway. Gunsmith said he'd pay for it and never made good on it.

Comment

Also meant to ask, what 1911 are you doing the bob tail on?

Comment

The Ed Brown bobtail comes with the internals, so you shouldn't have to worry about needing any additional springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebill View Post

yeah, that's the one. Didn't want to say the guys name, maybe he was just having a bad day. My friend had wilson refinish it and then ended up trading it anyway. Gunsmith said he'd pay for it and never made good on it.
                        He effectively went out of business but it looks like he is starting up again. Hope he makes good on it. That was absolutely the worst gunsmithing I’ve ever seen.

Comment

One thing you might want to consider before you get a bobtail. I recently went shopping for a ccw 1911. Of course, those guns with a bobtail concealed the best. But when I drew the gun, and pointed it naturally, all those with the bobtail cut, pointed low. One in particular, the Springfield EMP Concealed Carry Contour, PI9229L_WEB-1200x800.jpg pointed so low, you couldn't even see the front sight. A major problem in a defensive carry gun.
                          The reason is that the bobtail cut allows the bottom butt of the gun to sit back into your palm. And that in turn, tilts the front of the gun lower.
                          So, you have to consider the intended use of the gun. If it's just a range gun, you can compensate for the way it points. But if you're counting on it to save your life in a quick draw and shoot scenario, be careful about doing it.
                          Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                          Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Working...
                          X