Announcement

Collapse

St Mary’s Children’s Hospital Fund Raiser

Don’t miss out! ——> Link
See more
See less

CZ 75 SP-01 .... new gun... review, sort of.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CZ 75 SP-01 .... new gun... review, sort of.

With fall and winter just around the corner and my first pistol match under my belt, my focus has shifted to pistol shooting again. After agonizing on which gun to use for the match, I opted for the CZ P10C, which worked out pretty well for a first timer, but it left me thinking I could do better and of course, that gave me an excuse to buy another gun. After looking at a few things, I finally decided on the CZ 75 SP-01 tactical (for the decocker). This thing is a beast. It's an all metal gun and weighs a ton, but man, does it shoot. I was a little hesitant because of the DA/SA which is the main reason I didn't shoot my P226 for the match, but the trigger pull is much smoother than the Sig and with some future "Cajunizing", I think it will be much lighter and smoother. I mainly bought it because of the reports of it having lower recoil. Put 300 rounds through it yesterday to test it and also compare to other guns. I did a bunch of side-by-side testing with CZ 75B, H&K VP9, Springfield 9MM range officer, Sig P226, and Beretta 92FS and the SP-01 was definitely the softest shooting of the bunch and the easiest to control when shooting fast. I know this gun has been around a long time and has a cult following but being new to me I am really excited about it.

- Low recoil, controllability
    ​​​​- Styling, it looks pretty badass
    - Ergonomics: grip and beaver tail fit the hand perfectly, rubber grip panels have just the right amount of texture; points very naturally
    - fit and finish are excellent as is typical of CZ (with one exception, see below)
    - compatibility with my 75B mags
    - aftermarket support

Dislikes:

- Sights: it comes with Meprolight 3-dot night sights. Shooting indoors in low light, they were barely visible. Really don't like them, will have to change them out.
    - polymer guide rod is thin and seems pretty flimsy.
    - finish on the exterior of the barrel wore off after only a few hundred rounds.

IMG_1599.JPG

I just got one too. It's great. I'm looking to try it out in competition as well. Maybe I'll bump into you at one sometime soon. Enjoy!

Comment

I like mine. The disassembly is a bit tough until it breaks in but that’s just an excuse to shoot the shit out of it.
      NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
      NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
      Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Absolutely the favorite gun that I own (I know that's like picking a favorite child, lol). All I have done was upgraded the sights of the to the Tfx Pro's a few years back and threw a few thousand rounds through it and still beats the hell out of anything else I own.

Not a great carry piece due to size/weight but if I could, I would. Have a P07 for that, but even with CGW magic, I still like the stock SP01 DA trigger better.
        Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
          With fall and winter just around the corner and my first pistol match under my belt, my focus has shifted to pistol shooting again. After agonizing on which gun to use for the match, I opted for the CZ P10C, which worked out pretty well for a first timer, but it left me thinking I could do better and of course, that gave me an excuse to buy another gun. After looking at a few things, I finally decided on the CZ 75 SP-01 tactical (for the decocker). This thing is a beast. It's an all metal gun and weighs a ton, but man, does it shoot. I was a little hesitant because of the DA/SA which is the main reason I didn't shoot my P226 for the match, but the trigger pull is much smoother than the Sig and with some future "Cajunizing", I think it will be much lighter and smoother. I mainly bought it because of the reports of it having lower recoil. Put 300 rounds through it yesterday to test it and also compare to other guns. I did a bunch of side-by-side testing with CZ 75B, H&K VP9, Springfield 9MM range officer, Sig P226, and Beretta 92FS and the SP-01 was definitely the softest shooting of the bunch and the easiest to control when shooting fast. I know this gun has been around a long time and has a cult following but being new to me I am really excited about it.

- Low recoil, controllability
          ​​​​- Styling, it looks pretty badass
          - Ergonomics: grip and beaver tail fit the hand perfectly, rubber grip panels have just the right amount of texture; points very naturally
          - fit and finish are excellent as is typical of CZ (with one exception, see below)
          - compatibility with my 75B mags
          - aftermarket support

Dislikes:

- Sights: it comes with Meprolight 3-dot night sights. Shooting indoors in low light, they were barely visible. Really don't like them, will have to change them out.
          - polymer guide rod is thin and seems pretty flimsy.
          - finish on the exterior of the barrel wore off after only a few hundred rounds.

IMG_1599.JPG
          HFG, with the calibers being the same, what do you attribute to the CZ being 'softer shooting'?

Weight? Slightly lower bore axis?

I love my 75's, but they are a bit heavy to CCW, even the Compact is heavy.
          No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by xcentrk View Post
            Absolutely the favorite gun that I own (I know that's like picking a favorite child, lol). All I have done was upgraded the sights of the to the Tfx Pro's a few years back and threw a few thousand rounds through it and still beats the hell out of anything else I own.

Not a great carry piece due to size/weight but if I could, I would. Have a P07 for that, but even with CGW magic, I still like the stock SP01 DA trigger better.
            How do you like the TFX Pro sights ? I've been looking at those but seeing mixed reviews. How are they in dim light?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

HFG, with the calibers being the same, what do you attribute to the CZ being 'softer shooting'?

Yes, definitely better CCW options than this gun. It's bit big and heavy for that. I think the softer shooting is due not only to the weight, but the distribution of that weight in the front of the frame. It's pretty beefy forward of the trigger guard. That coupled with the design of the 75 where the slide rides inside the frame keeps muzzle rise to a minimum. I was shooting 115 gr loads and I imagine it's even softer with 124 or 147.

Comment

Nice. That one is on my wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I have the shadow 2 and she’s heavy. Soft shooting heavy pistol.

Comment

I have one in Olive eats everything 1000s of rounds Never an issue.

Comment

Welcome to the club! You'll definitely want to "Cajunize" yours as soon as you see how mine turned out.

​​​​

Comment

Those are great guns, good luck with it. And the CGW or CZC triggers are a true pleasure to shoot.

As a side note. We had one of these on the rental wall from October 2011 to June 2018. That thing was rented pretty much every day, sometimes several times a day. No finish left on the barrel or under the slide, untold thousands of rounds. It never broke or required anything other then a cleaning. The lack of oiling caused the slide to show signs of galling. It had a hard life. In March we had a competition and used that gun for the first stage. 30 shooters had to use it, everyone commented on accuracy and how smooth the trigger was. I sold that pistol to my co-worker. He finally replaced the springs and continues to shoot it.

Comment

Have read your review on the CZ 75 SP ..
                          would you recommend this for a first time
                          buyer. Or would it be "to much" gun....I was impressed with your overview and seems like a quality product. .

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

How do you like the TFX Pro sights ? I've been looking at those but seeing mixed reviews. How are they in dim light?
                            I like them a lot. I have them on 5-6 guns now. They seems as bright/brighter then they SigLite sights that were on my P226 MK25. They do sit higher then stock if that is a concern. I attached a couple daytime pics for now.
                            Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by Justice View Post
                              Have read your review on the CZ 75 SP ..
                              would you recommend this for a first time
                              buyer. Or would it be "to much" gun....I was impressed with your overview and seems like a quality product. .
                              To jump in here, this was my second pistol when I first got my license. I have a 'few' more guns now and it is still my go to for classes and is my bedside gun. It is on the heavy side, but that helps minimize the felt recoil which makes it even more enjoyable to shoot for a beginner. The only complaint I have seen was that the slide is more difficult to manipulate then some others as it sits low (also helps with recoil management) so less to get a hold of. If you have a decent grip strength, that really a non-issue though.

Full disclosure.. I am a CZ whore, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, lol.
                              Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X