Looking to buy my first 1911.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy my first 1911.

As I am looking to buy my first 1911, there is an overwhelming amount of information out there. I know I want it in 45 ACP but would like some first hand knowledge on what brands are the best bang (pun intended) for the buck.
    Last edited by Mdb4; 11-09-2018, 04:37 PM.

Screw bang for the buck. Get the original. Get a Colt.
    Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Narrow down your choices to start.

what length barrel? traditional 5" or something smaller?

adjustable sights, old school GI sights, or novak style sights?

Do you want something that looks old school, or something new school with a bob tail and all that?

I was looking at the colt competition for a while...seemed like some good features for the dollars. I also grew up shooting a gold cup, and it's hard to go back from something like that.

There was a lot of praise for the springfield armory range officer for a while too.
      High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Price range?

I have a Rock Island Armory 9mm that has been very good to me. Not perfect, but for what I paid for it, I'm not complaining.
        https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/roc...andard-fs-9mm/

My Ruger SR1911 in .45 has been flawless, even with a few 70+ year old mags I use on occasion. About $700 or so when I got it 7 years ago, but I think it's gone up a bit.
        https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Sta...eets/6700.html

My Colt Competition doesn't have a lot of rounds through it, but has had no issues It was $900, though.
        https://www.colt.com/detail-page/com...er70-9mm-bl-91

Other members like their Taurii (plural of Taurus?) but I had one, and it was the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. Some people like them, I will never buy another one of their products ever again.
        https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...361#post286361

Keep in mind, if you go a bit cheaper, it helps to be somewhat handy. A 1911 can sometimes be a finicky beast, and cheaper ones tend to use more MIM parts. Cheaper to make, and will work for a while, but parts will wear a bit faster.
        Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
        This was about 600 rounds into my 9mm RIA 1911
        IMG_20160508_154956_938.jpg

They just asked for a picture, and sent me a new one in a couple of days. Good for a fun range/comp gun, but if I want to count on something to go bang when I need it in the middle of the night, I'll stick with a Glock or an M&P.
        I almost bought a Springfield Armory Range Officer (RO), but a friend had to send his back three times because the front sight kept falling off. YMMV. Many have had no issues with theirs.

If I ever buy another, it will most likely be a S&W.
        https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911-e-series

Personally not a fan of Kimber and their 500 round break-in bullshit. A friend/member here has had many problems with his, and he's well past 500 rounds. It's been back a number of times, and AFAIK it still runs like shit. Again, YMMV.
        Steve

Comment

Look for a nice used colt in the 1970’s range. Bluing is awesome

Comment

I have 2 Colts and a Taurus. User opinion of the Taurus may vary, I haven't had an issue with mine since I inherited it over a year ago. However, I own a Gold Cup, love it. That's a bit pricey. I have the M1991A1, good pistol, handles well, not my favorite but still a good pistol. Meet up with someone who has a few different makes and models and see which one suits you and your budget after putting some rounds down range.

Comment

If you're only going to get one....LOL.....I'd say get a Colt. But if this is just your first foray into the 1911 world, they can be addicting.

I like the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Comes with adjustable or Novak-style sights. A friend of mine who's currently a member of the "President's Hundred" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Hundred_Tab recommends them - and that's good enough for me! Lol.

Image result for springfield armory range officer

I also love my Sig Nightmare Carry:

Last edited by Dan 0351; 11-08-2018, 12:21 PM.
              No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

What’s the price range? If you’re spending 1400, Dan Wesson. Colts and Springfield’s in that price range don’t compare. DW are all steel parts, no cast or mim and fit tight. Personally, I love colts, but at 1k ballpark, Springfield and colt are great choices. Colt uses less mim parts. Pretty sure sear, disconnector, mag catch And release and series 80 parts are mim, but very well made. Not sure about springers, but they’re good guns.
                Also, don’t forget that Doug and Bill over at 782guns do custom work on 1911’s. Bill did my ball cuts and rear sight cuts.5EDF35F5-0E44-42E6-9DD2-9EE6DB482753.jpeg219F1506-E11E-4DE6-9538-EC458B5EC879.jpegDDC5BA8A-05B4-4F4D-9C22-53F833F01122.jpegA0FF8D8B-975C-4E25-983E-3CD088EFA0AD.jpeg

Comment

You can get a really good 1911 for under a grand! My buddy has rhe ruger sr1911 in 45 acp. Its a really nice piece for the money. Seen them on gunbroker used high $600s low$700s
                  i just bought a kimber tleII 5” in 45 for $850 on grabagun with $7 shipping and no tax! Put about 500 rnds down the pipe last saturday no problems really nice piece.

Comment

Thank you guys for the input! I was thinking to stick with the $1000 or less range because I know that i will probably love it and want more!

I was also also debating whether to go with a 5” or the 4.25” barrel length. I’m going to stop into 782 in a little while and pick their brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                      If you're only going to get one....LOL.....I'd say get a Colt. But if this is just your first foray into the 1911 world, they can be addicting.

I like the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Comes with adjustable or Novak-style sights. A friend of mine who's currently a member of the "President's Hundred" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Hundred_Tab recommends them - and that's good enough for me! Lol.

Image result for springfield armory range officer

I also love my Sig Nightmare Carry:

I was looking at the Sig Nightmare Carry. Fits nicely in the hand and I do like the rounded butt or as they call it “Fast back.”

Comment

I have both a Colt and a Springfield range officer in stainless steel. The RO has the fiber optic front sight. Both have been flawless.

Comment

I have the SRO and a Dan Wesson Valor VBob. IIRC there was about a $600-700 price difference, $900 v $1600. They shoot exactly the same. My only complaint about the SRO is the extractor is a bit flimsy. When I replaced it with a Wilson Bullet Proof extractor the malfunctions went away. I think I may have dropped the slide on a round in the chamber and messed up the original extractor. I'd get this malfunction where the last case in the mag would jam back into the lips of the mag then get pinched when the slide moved forward and hit it. It's a real pain to clear. It's also the gun I tinker with, new sights, arched main spring housing, and even changed the thumb safety becasue the original had a sharp edge. But I love the gun.
                          "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                          Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                          Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb4 View Post
                            Thank you guys for the input! I was thinking to stick with the $1000 or less range because I know that i will probably love it and want more!

I was also also debating whether to go with a 5” or the 4.25” barrel length. I’m going to stop into 782 in a little while and pick their brain.
                            I'd go with a 5" for target shooting or warfighting. The commander size (4.25) is for carry.

You can't go wrong with 782.

You can go wrong with a Taurus. I like mine, but either I'm a little limp-wristed with a .45 or it's not quite as reliable as I would like; it occasionally (like once or twice per range trip) failures to eject.

I swear by Springfield in all forms.

Comment

You can buy a brand new basic Colt for $819.00. You can buy a Loaded Springfield for the same money.

The Springfields are EXCELLENT firearms.

One of the young men that I had trained on a 1911 once could not handle his Colt 1911 because he couldn't hold it tight enough. He had very fine, delicate features including very thin fingers.
                              If you have tiny hands, go 9-mil, not .45acp. Otherwise you can get stovepipes.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Working...
                              X