See less

Looking to buy my first 1911.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Wesson Valor owner here. Love every thing about it. Everyone who shoots it has a shit eating grin. My coworker bought one after shooting mine. And his father in law bought one after shooting his. LOL

Comment

Colt colt colt

Attached Files

Comment

i have a couple of 1911 type guns . from 22 to 45 , looking at a 10mm
        i have colts and Springfield's ,for your first 1911 i would go with either a colt comp series , Springfield range officer , or the ruger
        if your not in a rush next range night i can bring a 9mm and a 45 for you to try

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
            i have colts and Springfield's ,for your first 1911 i would go with either a colt comp series , Springfield range officer , or the ruger
            if your not in a rush next range night i can bring a 9mm and a 45 for you to try
            Exactly this.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebill View Post
              What’s the price range? If you’re spending 1400, Dan Wesson. Colts and Springfield’s in that price range don’t compare. DW are all steel parts, no cast or mim and fit tight. Personally, I love colts, but at 1k ballpark, Springfield and colt are great choices. Colt uses less mim parts. Pretty sure sear, disconnector, mag catch And release and series 80 parts are mim, but very well made. Not sure about springers, but they’re good guns.
              Also, don’t forget that Doug and Bill over at 782guns do custom work on 1911’s. Bill did my ball cuts and rear sight cuts.5EDF35F5-0E44-42E6-9DD2-9EE6DB482753.jpeg219F1506-E11E-4DE6-9538-EC458B5EC879.jpegDDC5BA8A-05B4-4F4D-9C22-53F833F01122.jpegA0FF8D8B-975C-4E25-983E-3CD088EFA0AD.jpeg
              Did the ball cuts hurt at all or did they give you a local?

Comment

The last used gun list I saw from Campsite had three reasonable priced Colt Gold Cups listed. I would go take a look at those.
                My Kimber Gold Match II is my favorite handgun.
                A friend of mine has a Springfield TRP with adjustable sights. That's a really nice gun too.

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
                  I might have to take you up on that offer! Not in a rush but I’m leaning towards the range officer. Seems like that and the colt are the consensus here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb4 View Post

I was looking at the Sig Nightmare Carry. Fits nicely in the hand and I do like the rounded butt or as they call it “Fast back.”
                    You're welcome to try it. I have the Carry and the 5" slide/barrel for it as well (thanks to a member here).
                    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Springfield frequently runs promotions for free swag like magazines with the purchase of a new pistol. Keep an eye out for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post

Did the ball cuts hurt at all or did they give you a local?
                        Wasnt bad, they tickled😉 seriously though, Bill was extremely precise with the cuts. They line up with the dust covers exactly. You can have complete confidence in his machine work. Honestly, he's as good if not better than guys like chuck rogers. If you haven't seen what hire can do he has a few examples at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdb4 View Post

I might have to take you up on that offer! Not in a rush but I’m leaning towards the range officer. Seems like that and the colt are the consensus here.
                          Take a look at the fusion freedom series too. Go to their website https://www.fusionfirearms.com/pistols/freedom-series

no mim, cast or plastic i believe. Ive used their parts and they make good stuff.

Comment

If you’re on a budget, the ATI 1911 I bought is pretty neat for less then $400. I call it a “gateway gun”. It has taught me I really like the platform for a minimal investment... now I need more and better!
                            Africa Part 2: May 2018

Comment

Originally posted by LIChris View Post
                              If you’re on a budget, the ATI 1911 I bought is pretty neat for less then $400. I call it a “gateway gun”. It has taught me I really like the platform for a minimal investment... now I need more and better!
                              That's like buying a 650cc motorcycle for cruisin'. By next season you will want much better (bigger)!
                              No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Why do men carry a .45 ?

Because they dont don’t make a .46 !

Seriously, the 1911 platform is damn near pistol perfection. Near limitless aftermarket mods that can adapt almost any 1911 into whatever you want it to be.
                                Weight, grip angle, balance, simplicity, accessories, plentiful ammo in its various calibers (but it was meant to be a .45), historical and cool factors and more.

Good advice above, if you can make a range night there are lots of good members here who will let you drive their 1911’s and offer advice and opinions (lots and lots and lots of opinions) so if you want a chance to really explore your options that is a good place to do it.

Good luck and start saving, 1911’s are like pringles...you can’t have just one.

Comment

Working...
                                X