• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colt M1911 3 digit serial

guys,
    here is one to watch.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797834707

seller is the real deal; The pistol is 347 and probably made within the first 7 days of the start of M1911 production in 1912. Its a little rough but watch where the price goes.

I say $68,000

Comment

A higher condition one would go over $100. Depends because condition on this is rough but it appears all original. So catch 22. It will catch fire in the last 3 days

Comment

What is the deal with the blue on the trigger, hammer and a few other parts? Not replacements?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
          What is the deal with the blue on the trigger, hammer and a few other parts? Not replacements?
          No, that’s the thing that’s so great about these early guns. The first 2500 had the fire blue parts. The parts were treated and heated to a temp that turned them electric blue. The finish didn’t hold up but all early colts have fire blue parts, even 1903 hammerless. The screws, trigger etc. And with the early “high gloss” oil blue finish it really pops. And 347 has a lot of fire blue although I think the picture exposure is enhanced to show the electric blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post

No, that’s the thing that’s so great about these early guns. The first 2500 had the fire blue parts. The parts were treated and heated to a temp that turned them electric blue. The finish didn’t hold up but all early colts have fire blue parts, even 1903 hammerless. The screws, trigger etc. And with the early “high gloss” oil blue finish it really pops. And 347 has a lot of fire blue although I think the picture exposure is enhanced to show the electric blue.
            I’ve heard of the fire blue but wasn’t tracking on it, wouldn’t have made the connection if I was. Thanks for educating.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

I’ve heard of the fire blue but wasn’t tracking on it, wouldn’t have made the connection if I was. Thanks for educating.
              Here is one of my 1903 Pocket hammers. The 1911 347 was finished exactly like this when it was made. But the fire blue parts on the M1911 are more numerous and look great. You can see the sight, mag release, trigger, grip screws are all fire blue on the one .
              https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...-pocket-hammer

Comment

With a gun like that, does one do a full a resto or leave it untouched?
                It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can read between the lines of their textbooks
                This world must be witness to revolution every now and then
                The busted wills and scrapfills of this great nation show you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post
                  Guns and gun collectors want full original if possible. These aren’t like cars that a full restoration adds value.
                  Any historic/collectible gun should never be touched at all and in some cases with rifles, shouldn’t even be cleaned. I have an old 1915 Gew 98 that has dust on it and the fact it hasn’t been touched in 80 years some guys want the dust.

Only restore a gun that is just shooter grade and not collectible.

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post
                    leave it alone!!!!!
                    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Here is one of my 1903 Pocket hammers. The 1911 347 was finished exactly like this when it was made. But the fire blue parts on the M1911 are more numerous and look great. You can see the sight, mag release, trigger, grip screws are all fire blue on the one .
                      https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...-pocket-hammer
                      that thing is a piece of art deco artwork. unreal that old finish.
                      High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post

that thing is a piece of art deco artwork. unreal that old finish.
                        They unfortunately don’t replicate that blue oil,finish or fire blue parts. They should

Comment

They unfortunately don’t replicate that blue oil,finish or fire blue parts. They should
                          Turnbull claims to come close.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/.../nitre-bluing/

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
                            Turnbull charges an arm and a leg and a kidney to restore to “original”. They are very good and you wait 2-3 years for the piece. And it can alomost pass as original which is why there are so many on GB listed as original and it’s not. I’d rather have colt do it

Comment

That's a great piece, but I think you're right about the blue being accentuated. I have a few old colt pieces and that looks just a bit too bright
                              Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Working...
                              X