Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1940 Luger P08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1940 Luger P08

    630C3933-304D-4CD7-A426-552CCAD7E617.jpeg
    Yes, it is not Russian but we all know that it was the best item any Ally trooper would love to “liberate” from German dead or alive.

    Rrudo74901 ​​​​​​​I have to thank you for spending your time consulting me on basics for Luger purchases.

    This is all matching, including magazine 1940 Mauser factory gun. Reproduction holster came alone with it. It is in “shooter” condition, exactly what I was looking for. I do have some questions about those grips, according to my research %20 of 1940 Lugers came with black plastic grips but something tells me it is not it. Somebody before the previous owner scratched them for some reason but it not bother me a bit.

    This gun is in good shape internally even though last owner before me didn’t really clean it well. I just gave it a good LCP bath and scrub and now just need a box or two of brass ammo and give it a go, clean and shoot again.

    #2
    Good purchase and I hope you got it for the right price.
    ‘I thought the black plastic grips started in the byf 41 Lugers but maybe some late 1940’s had them too.

    Comment


      #3
      Quick look at research shows that 1940 42 code Lugers have been observed to have original black plastic grips from the factory. I have no idea of the % however it’s been observed.

      Comment


        #4
        I’ve got it under your advised price, so I think I did well on this one. I’m very new to Luger’s history and today is the basically first day I start reading about it. I will confirm that grip information but I would not be surprised if this grips are wrong for this gun

        Comment


          #5
          Here is a good place to start

          https://luger.gunboards.com/forum.php

          Now you would need to figure out what variation of black grips these are, I think they are type 3, and when those were made and utilized. Also remember even the books can be wrong. But there are aftermarket postwar company’s producing black plastic grips they are nearly identical to the originals, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, and many people threw away or sold the wood grips to “make” their pistol a “black widow”. Kind of stupid they would command more money than the wooden grips and it’s entirely because of the name given to them by collectors.
          Much like the “black army” 1911’s in late 1918 and 1919.

          Comment


            #6
            Very nice!
            "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
            Tucker Max

            Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
            Finicky Fat Guy

            Comment


              #7
              Nice one!

              Comment


                #8
                Nice, now I want to have one :-(
                What’s mechanically the best luger in terms of reliability? Caliber, manufacturer, production year(s)?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by miner View Post
                  Nice, now I want to have one :-(
                  What’s mechanically the best luger in terms of reliability? Caliber, manufacturer, production year(s)?
                  They are all good. Early Lugers are in 30 Mauser. All the rest 9mm. There are a few 45 cal test Lugers out there but that’s it. Depends on what you want. Pre ww1, ww1, ww2, etc. best fit and finish? Probably the Krieghoff. All issued to the Luftwaffe.

                  ‘’They are all hand fitted so not a huge difference. Now cost comes in.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post

                    They are all good. Early Lugers are in 30 Mauser. All the rest 9mm. There are a few 45 cal test Lugers out there but that’s it. Depends on what you want. Pre ww1, ww1, ww2, etc. best fit and finish? Probably the Krieghoff. All issued to the Luftwaffe.

                    ‘’They are all hand fitted so not a huge difference. Now cost comes in.
                    Don’t care about historical significance, waffenamt or importer marks, don’t care about caliber or condition (except for rifling which has to be strong), prefer all matching (aside from a magazine) and original (not refinished) and it has to be under $1k.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Under 1k you probably going to have a hard time to find matching numbers good condition. Mismatched, it your best option, but you just never know what you can find. It is a lot of them around, enough to get lucky eventually.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by miner View Post

                        Don’t care about historical significance, waffenamt or importer marks, don’t care about caliber or condition (except for rifling which has to be strong), prefer all matching (aside from a magazine) and original (not refinished) and it has to be under $1k.
                        You,sled for the best mechanically sound P08 and that’s a rhetorical question I answered as best I could.

                        You should probably look for a post ww1 commercial or post ww1 Weimar Police Luger that’s been adopted from the military and non matching. Although the Luger market is depressed, a sub $1000 pistol is going to be definitely mismatched and pretty beat up. Which ,earns the bore will most likely not be bright and shinny. There are trade offs.

                        Good hunting

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have 2. The first was a mismatched gun from 1913 (the frame, anyway) that had a little rust. I brought it back to life and it is a damn fine shooter. I think I paid $600 on Gunbroken. The second I got off of the Luger gunlist. I posted a WTB looking for another shooter. A regular on the board sold me a numbers matching gun with some slight finish issues for $700. That one was a 1936 S/42 gun. That one I don't shoot.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thanks, I had a feeling that if you are willing to be patient you can find a good luger for under $1k. There was one in very nice condition for $1k when Jerry had that esate sale couple of years ago but someone snatched it while I was thinking :-(
                            Is it legal to buy and/or use a luger with a stock?
                            How does .30 luger compare to 9mm? Both from the pistol’s and the shooters prospective.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by miner View Post
                              Thanks, I had a feeling that if you are willing to be patient you can find a good luger for under $1k. There was one in very nice condition for $1k when Jerry had that esate sale couple of years ago but someone snatched it while I was thinking :-(
                              Is it legal to buy and/or use a luger with a stock?
                              How does .30 luger compare to 9mm? Both from the pistol’s and the shooters prospective.
                              30 Mauser/Luger is like a 380 compared to 9mm. Smaller and underpowered. Also harder to find and more expensive so from a Ammo availability and cost perspective go for the 9mm. You won’t find a 30 Mauser Luger in your price range anyway as the early pistols model 1900 and 1906 are more expensive.

                              troll GB and so,e of the Luger pistol boards and you may find something for under $1000.00. I just haven’t seen much lately. I know you mentioned historical significance as a non-issue however ever Luger has some place in history except the 1970’s imported by stoeger which I think sold for,around $1100 and that’s what they are worth today. So even a wiemar police rework is what some guys collect so it drives price.
                              ‘Best bet is look for a frame and canon mismatch total shooter and just have fun with it. No if you loosen the recoil spring in the backstop to a point it goes full fun.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X