No announcement yet.

1940 Luger P08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice, I'll have one someday. Lugers are somewhat finicky with ammo. You need to use standard velocity 124gr brass case ammo. The 115gr ammo is a little shorter than the 124's and will lead to feeding issues. The standard "Parabellum" round is the round nose 124gr at approx 1100-1200fps so that's what it was designed to shoot. Do not go with heavier slugs as that will beat the crap out of it and avoid hollow points. I would recommend replacing every spring including the magazine with a standard weight set from Wolff. Also never use +P's in a pistol that old.

Comment

Check this one. It needs an easy repair.
      https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807310188

Also found this one. It is nickled so not collectible. Plus it's a mismatch.
      https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807014365

This one is a postwar rebuild
      https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807631363

This one is local.
      https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807615418

Another mismatch
      https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799753206
      Last edited by Genghis Khan; 04-07-2019, 09:46 AM. Reason: Adding some auctions

Comment

My caliber question was more along the line whether p08 was maybe designed for .30 and therefore likes it better like we’ve seen some original 9mm pistol designs modified to handle .40 resulting in awkward feel.

Any info regarding legality of a stock here in ny?

Comment

You can own the stock and pistol. I believe it’s ATF exempt. But I don’t know if you can legally afix it to the pistol.

The pistol functions fine with either 30 Mauser or 9mm but you won’t likely find a 30 Mauser for less then 1000

and Ammo cost is prohibitive

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post
            You can own the stock and pistol. I believe it’s ATF exempt. But I don’t know if you can legally afix it to the pistol.

The pistol functions fine with either 30 Mauser or 9mm but you won’t likely find a 30 Mauser for less then 1000

and Ammo cost is prohibitive
            I wouldn’t worry about ammo cost, luckily we have PPU who are willing to make reasonably priced ammo in pretty much any caliber that ever existed in the history of mankind ... not that a luger owner would ever plan to use it for competition shooting anyway :-)

Comment

So I ended up getting one well within the target price range, .30 caliber though, not likely to be stocked anywhere on long island, so target sports usa will get more of my business :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Russian View Post
                630C3933-304D-4CD7-A426-552CCAD7E617.jpeg
                Yes, it is not Russian but we all know that it was the best item any Ally trooper would love to “liberate” from German dead or alive.

Rrudo74901 ​​​​​​​I have to thank you for spending your time consulting me on basics for Luger purchases.

This is all matching, including magazine 1940 Mauser factory gun. Reproduction holster came alone with it. It is in “shooter” condition, exactly what I was looking for. I do have some questions about those grips, according to my research %20 of 1940 Lugers came with black plastic grips but something tells me it is not it. Somebody before the previous owner scratched them for some reason but it not bother me a bit.

This gun is in good shape internally even though last owner before me didn’t really clean it well. I just gave it a good LCP bath and scrub and now just need a box or two of brass ammo and give it a go, clean and shoot again.
                Beautiful! I picked up a '43 P38 recently and would love one of these as well!

Comment

Originally posted by miner View Post
                  So I ended up getting one well within the target price range, .30 caliber though, not likely to be stocked anywhere on long island, so target sports usa will get more of my business :-)
                  Glad you picked one up and the 30 cal as well. Very cool. An alphabet commercial went on gun auction for $640 and that’s cheap even for a shooter. Was hoping you got that one.

Comment

Yes :-) Now it turns out finding the ammo will be a little bit more difficult. I read some bad reviews about this particular caliber Fiocchi, (i.e. underpowered and inconsistent) while ppu is out of stock everywhere except sgammo which only ships to an ffl.

Comment

Originally posted by miner View Post
                      Yes :-) Now it turns out finding the ammo will be a little bit more difficult. I read some bad reviews about this particular caliber Fiocchi, (i.e. underpowered and inconsistent) while ppu is out of stock everywhere except sgammo which only ships to an ffl.
                      Ship to Volko. $10/container. Just order 1000 rounds

Comment

What a nice piece of artwork I can’t believe I waited so long to get one.

Comment

Pics ...
                          Attached Files

Comment

It is definitely something “steampunk” going on there. Luger and C96 Mauser products of gone by era.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian View Post
                              It is definitely something “steampunk” going on there. Luger and C96 Mauser products of gone by era.
                              Funny you should mention the broomhandle, I just started following a few auctions yesterday. One with a “local touch - oyster bay industries” but already out of my range :-(
                              https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808460772
                              Last edited by miner; 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I’m not looking for 9mm, I would go for an original 7.63, but not in the closest future, unfortunately. I have 2 pistols left to complete my “history line” C96 and one more....

Comment

Working...
                                X