Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The venerable High Power makes a comeback

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/h...7cMake_3=Tisas

The venerable High Power makes a comeback...with a few small improvements, and a Stainless option.

Since Browning announced a halt to the production of its venerable Hi Power pistol, a new manufacturer stepped up to produce a clone in the form of the Tisas Regent BR9 9mm pistol. This faithful copy holds true to the single-action design of the Hi Power, having a barrel that measures 4.6 inches long, all-black metal finish and wood grips. The pistol ships with two 13-round magazines and weighs in at 1.84 pounds, unloaded.

There is a review in the current Shooting Illustrated, might have to order me a Stainless one, to go with the IDF version and the FN Target version....
    Last edited by NRATC53; 05-31-2019, 08:30 AM. Reason: Edit to correct magazine title
    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Very mixed reviews on this gun. Buyer beware.
    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

The thread title scared me . Don't do that

Comment

Feh....
        "The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

Comment

I picked up a used 1973 Belgian right after I heard they were going out of production. Go for the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
            The thread title scared me . Don't do that
            Sorry Phil- I already told you if THAT Savage is ever going to leave my stable, you will be the first to know. I know I hit you in a moment of weakness, and I had a picture of a cake in my pocket, so it could be deemed as unfair practices
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

This pistol came up in a newer thread, and I remember there was an older thread about it.

With Browning stopping production of their Hi Powers after ~85 years, even rough ones are starting to creep up in price. With the amount of HP's on the market after almost 9 decades of production, I have a feeling the market for them will eventually drop a bit, but who knows?

I'd rather have an FN/Browning example, but for ~$550, the Regent it's certainly worth a look

And like LI Ammo posted, it's pretty new with varying reviews, but several of the gun rags seem to like it. I added a somewhat negative youtube video with a possible fix to a problem.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-power-pistol/
              https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...as-regent-br9/
              https://www.shootingwire.com/feature...c-ab78b5174764

I still think the Hi Power design is one of the nicest looking handguns ever made.

If anyone has one, please post a review/thoughts.

No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by dan 0351 View Post
                i still think the hi power design is one of the nicest looking handguns ever made.
                absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post

absolutely!
                  My rating of the HP

Firepower: Check
                  Ergonomics: Check
                  Thin slide: Check
                  Single-Action: No-Go for me at this time.

So, I figure their Double Action version would be....perfect....but.....

Browning HP vs. BDM vs. G19 1.jpg
                  ...it's not really the same gun.

Then I thought the rare Browning HP DA/SA compact was going to be "THE" gun......

DA-SA Compact.PNG
                  .....but it's so rare I only keep it as a safe queen (and apparently, pretty wet) - and very similar in feel to the FN FNS 9C, which I really like:

FN FNS 9C.PNG

So, a DA/SA Hi Power that looked exactly like their single-action would be a dream for me.....but maybe still not better than the SIg P365 and 365 XL.

No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I know of 3 guys, 2 not in NY, who picked up the Regents clone. From the factory, no major issues after break in period with 115-124gr brass cased FMJ ammo. My buddy upstate had some issues early on with older Fed 147 JHP but it has since disappeared after more FMJ therapy through the gun. One thing they all agreed upon was mags, buy quality MecGar or new Browning mags as beat up surplus or unknown knockoffs will cause alot more issues than anything else with this gun. As was said numerous times, JMB and Dieudonne Saive designed it around 9MM ball not JHPs so unless worked on by a top notch Browning 'smith dont expect them to feed JHP of different weights well.

Comment

Working...
                    X