Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compact defensive handgun for older hands ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&W EZ

Comment

S&W model 36 is my vote. Keep it simple.
      NRA Life member

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post
        I've got a good friend who is in his 90's and has difficulty racking a slide on a handgun. So, I was thinking about recommending a J Frame sized revolver in .327 Federal, or 9mm. Or even a Beretta Tomcat in either .22 Long, .25 ACP or .32 ACP. These little Beretta's have a tip-up barrel, so racking the slide wouldn't be an issue.

YES ... I know these Beretta's are not as powerful as a LCP/G42 etc, or even as much as my minimum of 9mm ie G43, P365, Shield. And the mini revolvers aren't as thin as we'd like.

What I was really hoping for was for some of you pushing 85 or 90 to weigh in with your opinions.
        &W 380 EZ, a wheel gun, or have him try a Handi-racker
        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

+1 on the 380EZ. I was looking at it a while ago for my wife who has very small hands and minimal hand strength. It was very easy to rack the slide and load the mag. Definitely worth a look.

Comment

Ditto on the Smith 380EZ. Wife has one and easy to rack. Of course the best way to find out is to take it to the range and give it a try.

Comment

Smith & Wesson .380 EZ.

S&W got wise to the fact that folks get older and that their hand strength declines, and that the womens' market is growing, so the .380 EZ slide is unbelievably easy to rack. The magazines also have the kind of little button assists that are on Ruger Mark II and Mark III magazines to make loading easy.

Handled one recently and was very impressed.

Comment

2.25 or 3" Ruger SP101.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                  If I am lucky enough to get to my 90's I'm not going to worry about self defense.
                  You are absolutely right. However (while carrying out of class at that point because what are they going to do to) some might still have to protect grandkids.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

You are absolutely right. However (while carrying out of class at that point because what are they going to do to) some might still have to protect grandkids.
                    Grandkids are there to protect me.

Comment

If I am lucky enough to get to my 90's I'm not going to worry about self defense.
                      When you're in your 90s and in relatively good health, you probably will look forward to your 100s.
                      Retired and loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post

When you're in your 90s and in relatively good health, you probably will look forward to your 100s.
                        I thought it was a miracle when I hit 40. I didn't have a plan for anything after that. My dad was dead at 37.

Comment

I thought it was a miracle when I hit 40. I didn't have a plan for anything after that. My dad was dead at 37.
                          May that same miracle keep repeating itself for decades to come!
                          Retired and loving it.

Comment

The little Berettas are not a good choice. You need fine motor skills, they are hard to operate without practice and the danger of slide bite is real. An much older person should not be using one unless they've owned it for decades and shoot it all the time.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Also, don’t forget, it’s not only racking the slide on a semi-auto. Loading the magazines could be problematic too.

I would go the .38 revolver route. Keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post
                                The little Berettas are not a good choice. You need fine motor skills, they are hard to operate without practice and the danger of slide bite is real. An much older person should not be using one unless they've owned it for decades and shoot it all the time.

This guy has been shooting since WW II. And he was a competitive bullseye shooter. He's probably forgotten more about the 1911 than you or I will ever know.

Comment

Working...
                                X