Question for you 1911 history buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you 1911 history buffs

So, since I don't want to spend $1K on a wartime Colt, nor do I want to abuse one, last year or so, I found a Remington R1 base model at what I thought to be a pretty good price. Under $500, FFL, ship, taxes and all.

1911.png?itok=u9Vm6JIP.png

While I realize it is not true "GI", it's close enough for me. I also won't feel bad shooting it.

OK, now the question: would an arched main spring housing make it look more correct? When were the arched main spring housings used? Any specific period, model, or manufacturer?

TIA.
    Steve

If you're gonna get into those kind of details, no unparkerized parts should show.
    Here's the 1911 next to a 1911A1 to visualize the main spring housing

Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

r1 has real sights ---shoot the crap out of that one , and then you can shoot my 1914 unit they are all goood

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
        If you're gonna get into those kind of details, no unparkerized parts should show.
        Here's the 1911 next to a 1911A1 to visualize the main spring housing
        Not going that crazy, but it looks like the 1911A1 has the short trigger, and the arched MSH. Figures, Rem has all the parts for a quick swap, cheap, except the actual arched MSH.

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
        r1 has real sights ---shoot the crap out of that one , and then you can shoot my 1914 unit they are all goood
        I did shoot your 1914 version, remember? I ran into you at MF with the Roslyn club I think. I shot your 1914, you shot my brandy new Colt Competition in 9mm.
        Steve

Comment

I believe Colt makes a new “original” version of the GI issued 1911. It’s around $600.00.

The A1 has the trigger cut outs on the frame, arched MSH, Larger beaver tail on the grip safety and other more cosmetic details like serrations and checkering that are different and heat treating on more areas of the pistol.

Comment

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col...ip-matte-blued

$799 list price. I think campsite has a used one for less in the case.

Comment

Just my opinion, I would only change the mainspring housing for comfort reasons. I like flat. My father likes arched. It’s a feel thing. If you go arched, Smith & Alexander make nice ones.

Comment

The new colt is called the 1911C or classic. It’s pre 70 roll marks, flat housing, short trigger and a nm barrel. Also no series 80.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                  Not going that crazy, but it looks like the 1911A1 has the short trigger, and the arched MSH. Figures, Rem has all the parts for a quick swap, cheap, except the actual arched MSH.

I did shoot your 1914 version, remember? I ran into you at MF with the Roslyn club I think. I shot your 1914, you shot my brandy new Colt Competition in 9mm.
                  Yes, the trigger on the 1911A1 takes up less room in the trigger guard. You'll also notice a relief/recess cut out just aft the trigger on the frame just above the mag release. Again, only of the 1911A1, not the 1911.
                  Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Working...
                  X