Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acquired a S&W M4513 (45ACP) tonight at auction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

Don't disconnect. The risk reward calculus favors leaving it. Most accidental shootings with a pistol are caused by someone dropping the mag and assuming the gun is unloaded. Sometimes, even experienced gun guys have a senior moment. It can happen.

Big fan of the SW's pistols. Good find.
    There's pros and cons to it. Some major manufacturers (Glock, Beretta) have never used those. Others (S&W, Ruger) do.

It's a the risk of having a ND when you think the gun is empty vs. having a malfunction in a life and death situation. Definitely a personal decision for each gun owner and not something to recommend (or recommend against).

If you practice the 4 rules as a religion then the mag disconnect is redundant (as is any external safety).
    Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

That chart is invaluable to owners and buyers of the 3Rd Gen. S&W guns. The sales reps used to have S&W 3RD Gen “ Wheel o’guns” sales tool, IIRC, that did the same thing but was cooler! There have been a bunch of short run, limited edition models along Ageny /Dept only models also that were uncatalogued. The 5906 SSV, a blackened railed 4006 series , a shorty forty 6900 series that was chambered in .40S&W are a few that come to mind.
      Last edited by Surfer21; 05-22-2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by class3 View Post

There's pros and cons to it. Some major manufacturers (Glock, Beretta) have never used those. Others (S&W, Ruger) do.

It's a the risk of having a ND when you think the gun is empty vs. having a malfunction in a life and death situation. Definitely a personal decision for each gun owner and not something to recommend (or recommend against).

If you practice the 4 rules as a religion then the mag disconnect is redundant (as is any external safety).
        Problem is, as in all religions, everybody's potentially a sinner.

There exists the real chance that, either while one is alive or eventually dead, that a child or noob will handle your semi auto while you are not there. The mag safety is insurance. The self defense scenarios where the mag safety could impose a problem are so remote as far as chances of occurrence (I've never heard of a documented case) that its not worth the risk. You are right, though, its a personal decision. (Most of my pistols don't have them, but I wish they did).
        Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

Problem is, as in all religions, everybody's potentially a sinner.

There exists the real chance that, either while one is alive or eventually dead, that a child or noob will handle your semi auto while you are not there. The mag safety is insurance. The self defense scenarios where the mag safety could impose a problem are so remote as far as chances of occurrence (I've never heard of a documented case) that its not worth the risk. You are right, though, its a personal decision. (Most of my pistols don't have them, but I wish they did).
          Just pulling an excerpt random article from American Rifleman, covers more or less the points we have here. When I purchased one of my first handguns -- a Smith Model 908 -- I found the mag disconnect very frustrating. So much so I moved on to other guns very quickly.

For some, the presence of a magazine disconnect is a welcome feature and another layer of mechanical safety—of course, no mechanical device should take the place of common safety practices, including always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and assuming every gun is loaded.

Nonetheless, the inclusion of a magazine disconnect has some potentially serious drawbacks in a handgun intended for defensive use. For example, if the magazine has not been completely seated in the gun, which can happen, especially under stress, the pistol will not fire. Too, inadvertently depressing the magazine release while drawing the pistol has the same unwanted effect.

Also, while performing a tactical reload, in which a partially empty magazine is replaced with a fully loaded magazine in a situation where increased capacity might be needed, a magazine disconnect renders the gun useless during the reloading process. This puts the handgunner momentarily in a vulnerable situation with a partially loaded gun that will not operate.
          https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ne-disconnect/
          Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Working...
          X