1911 Ejector Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1911 Ejector Wear

I have a Colt Combat Commander that ejects brass in a pattern roughly comparable to a 3 year old throwing fistfuls of brass in the air. Every possible direction between ~1 o'clock and 6 o'clock and every possible distance between 'on the brim of my hat' and out to 'you'll never see that piece of brass again.'

So I took a careful look at the ejector. It certainly has some miles on it. A burr has developed on the edges that I can feel with my fingernail and can be seen under magnification.
    So, does this qualify as 'worn out'? Or just broken in? I'm certainly going to replace it, will that likely fix my ejection issues?

Very difficult to photograph. I did the best I could.

That looks like your problem. Change that sucker.

Comment

Replace!

Err, i mean that gun is no good. I'll take it off your hands if you thrown in 50 bux.

Comment

The ejector certainly is damaged. How many rounds through the gun? And do you shoot steel cased ammo? There might also be an issue of the slide rubbing on the ejector. Look at the channel in the slide where the ejector rides through it for any signs of rubbing.
        Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
        Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
          The ejector certainly is damaged. How many rounds through the gun? And do you shoot steel cased ammo? There might also be an issue of the slide rubbing on the ejector. Look at the channel in the slide where the ejector rides through it for any signs of rubbing.
          The gun is 40 years old, but I've only owned it for a few months. Cosmetically it's beautiful, but not because it was a safe queen. No doubt there were many rounds through it.

I'll order a new ejector and take a closer look at the slide. Thanks.

Comment

Could have been that way all alone too.

Is this a new problem? Your extractor could just be dirty or in need of a tweaking.
            Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

While your ordering parts a new recoil spring would probably be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
              X