Walther P99, serious discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walther P99, serious discussion

So I came across one of these from about 2002 or so. Looking for comments from users.
    I am shocked that I have never shot one before.

The Good:
    The pros of this gun are numerous, ie. points great, multiple backstrap choices, best decocker on the market since it sits on top and won't be confused or misused or accidentally set. The firing pin visibly and manually shows (or feels) cocked setting, it's DA/SA, with a light second pull. Trigger also resets with 1/4 travel pull which is a very useful for a firearm with a decocker. In my humble mind, the decocker is quite superior to the Sig because it doesn't confuse the shooter.

The Bad:
    This pistol never caught on against the Glocks and Sigs with law enforcement, which has a lot to do with marketing and salesmanship, and less to do with firearm quality. The only big knock on this firearm that I can find is the European style mag release. (which is ambidextrous). A small thing is the funny bump in the center of the trigger guard. It actually fits my finger fine, but maybe a skinny finger would not like it. Also, the front sight is plastic, but replaceable.

Who's got one? Who hates it? What do you guys think?

Mine is identical to this one below, made in Germany, no S&W markings.

P99.png
    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

I want one of these badly for the James Bond factor. The ergonomics are great and I actually really like paddle releases.

Comment

I love mine. Swapped out sights years ago and never looked back. Never had a malfunction or hiccup.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
        I love mine. Swapped out sights years ago and never looked back. Never had a malfunction or hiccup.
        I did not want to hear that actually. I was hoping for negative reviews so that I didn't feel compelled to keep it.
        I have a serious problem with gun storage space. I have the same problems that some of you guys have ... compulsively buying all good guns....compounded by my wife forcing me to buy more guns, a problem that few of you have.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

Meprolight makes night sights for it.

Comment

Mine was just like yours.

I never should have sold it.

Fit me really well. I liked the magazine release (index finger). Super fast reset and split times.
            Know Guns, Know Peace, Know Safety...No Guns, No Peace, No Safety

Comment

I've always wanted one but could never find one locally. Most shops only had the PPQ and variants.

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

I did not want to hear that actually. I was hoping for negative reviews so that I didn't feel compelled to keep it.
                I have a serious problem with gun storage space. I have the same problems that some of you guys have ... compulsively buying all good guns....compounded by my wife forcing me to buy more guns, a problem that few of you have.

If you wind up unloading it, please keep me in mind lol.

Comment

actually my uncle had one and something happened and his whole family was wiped out, so for the love of your family ditch it before some thing unforgettable happens.

Well I’ll take it if your selling......

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
                    actually my uncle had one and something happened and his whole family was wiped out, so for the love of your family ditch it before some thing unforgettable happens.

Well I’ll take it if your selling......
                    I do appreciate you're just looking out for me...

Comment

I have an HK with that paddle Mag release and I
                      like it. I wish more had it.
                      "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                      Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                      Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

I have the P99 QA (quick action trigger). I love it...it shoots well, mag changes are seamless with ambidextrous mag release, and I have never had an issue. I probably have 3000+ rounds through it and it’s one of my favorites. Great little gun, I wish they made it in 45!

Comment

I bought one back in 2001, and just never fell in love with it. Even though it was super cool, I really wanted to love it but never shot well with it. I love my PPQ’s, just never felt the same about the P99.

Comment

There is one for sale on Barfcom. I think he wants $420. Probably going to use the money to buy weed.

Comment

Working...
                            X