Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glock magnetism

No, not that kind of McMagnetism.
    I was reorganizing my safe last nigh and had a few handguns on a table. When I picked up my G19 to return it to the safe there were 2 sewing needles stuck to the slide. I slid them off and then tried to figure out WTF. Every time I put the needles near the slide, they "stuck" again like Paul to my credit card😋.
    Thought it was odd. Anyone else ever see this? (When you all get back from checking your Glocks for magnetism) Why would this happen?

Further proof that all Glocks need to be killed with fire.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Comment

Irish mist is needle pointing a g19 snuggie, I like your style

Comment

Damn....the ole' "Captain" would've had a whole hour+ to read up on this on Wiki and reply.....

(couldn't resist...sorry)
        “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
        Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
          Irish mist is needle pointing a g19 snuggie, I like your style
          Irish Mist, SMH. You really are the devil.

When I'm not regretting buying that Glock I burn my spare time knitting goat sweaters and other goodies. Oh, those polyester back leg bindings you asked for will be in the mail by Tuesday.

Comment

View Poll Results: Are your guns (handguns, specifically) magnetized?

Voters 16. You may not vote on this poll
            • Yes, I checked, and my gun shows signs of being magnetized.

318.75%
            • No, I checked, and my gun does not show signs of being magnetized.

1381.25%

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
              Damn....the ole' "Captain" would've had a whole hour+ to read up on this on Wiki and reply.....

Magnetism is a class of physical phenomena that are mediated by magnetic fields. Electric currentsand the magnetic moments of elementary particles give rise to a magnetic field, which acts on other currents and magnetic moments. Every material is influenced to some extent by a magnetic field. The most familiar effect is on permanent magnets, which have persistent magnetic moments caused by ferromagnetism. The prefix ferro- refers to iron, because permanent magnetism was first observed in a form of natural iron ore called magnetite, Fe3O4. Most materials do not have permanent moments. Some are attracted to a magnetic field (paramagnetism); others are repulsed by a magnetic field (diamagnetism); others have a more complex relationship with an applied magnetic field (spin glassbehavior and antiferromagnetism). Substances that are negligibly affected by magnetic fields are known as non-magnetic substances. These include copper, aluminium, gases, and plastic. Pure oxygen exhibits magnetic properties when cooled to a liquid state.

The magnetic state (or magnetic phase) of a material depends on temperature and other variables such as pressure and the applied magnetic field. A material may exhibit more than one form of magnetism as these variables change.

Comment

Or shit just happens....

Comment

If all those M&P owners had bought Glocks instead they could also have free magnetism.
                  Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
                    Or shit just happens....
                    Oh, the Capt. would be sooo disappointed in you for that answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Betelgeuse moment, careful, we are at 2.

Comment

Ownership of a boat does not entitle said owner the rank.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                          Ownership of a boat does not entitle said owner the rank.
                          But in some cases it makes it easier to know who to throw overboard in the case of a mutiny.

Comment

Yes, I've seen it happen, as far as why- gun could have been subjected to a magnetic field, or even just grinding the slide during manufacture could cause this.

If you want to degauss it, you could buy a commercial unit, or if you have an AC transformer (iron core transformer like a doorbell transformer or the one that's probably mounted near your furnace or oil burner to power your thermostats) then you could hold the slide up to that for about 20 seconds and the alternating field should demagnetize the slide and solve your problem.

I do think a magnetized slide is undesirable, particularly in a sandy environment it could have a tendency to pick up iron particulates and basically turn them into lapping compound on your slide rails. Since you've helped me in the past I'm offering up what I know- not Wikipedia, 6th grade.

As far as insulting people on an internet forum that have never even been a member of that forum, I've just gotta say some people have more class, some less. I'm not going to get into any BS over it. Got better stuff to do.

PS> If you are going to use your furnace transformer for this, make sure it has power (summer switch is on) etc. Yeah that sounds obvious but we've all done dumb stuff, Just a reminder.

Comment

Most Glocks point to true north when spun on a table and not magnetic north.

Comment

Working...
                              X