No announcement yet.

AR pistol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys plan to build smoothbore AR pistols? Or a single shot with a barrel over 12 inches? That cannot be shouldered. A fixed mag semi auto doesn't fit in.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...efinitions-any

Comment

Originally posted by SlowTime View Post
      Do you guys plan to build smoothbore AR pistols? Or a single shot with a barrel over 12 inches? That cannot be shouldered. A fixed mag semi auto doesn't fit in.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...efinitions-any
      When built over 26" long and designed to be fired with two hands it I does not fit the definition of SBR, AOW, or a a pistol. It is a non classified firearm or "other". NYSP has approved the Shockwave and TAC 14 that also fall into the same category. I'm not a lawyer so I am not saying anyone should build it but NYSP has set the precedent.

I have the ATF letter to Franklin Armiry for the XO-26 in pdf but can't attach it. I would be happy to email it if you want to see it.

Thompson used to sell the 1927a5 which was also an "other" and had ATF approval.
      Last edited by Lostinthewoods; 09-13-2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
        I can provide everything they would need, make of, caliber, barrel length, etc. The mfg of the lower has a lower with no mag release hole to install it in, so from the side its a smooth lower.
        That's great except your buddy Bruce told Nassau PLB that it's illegal for one of us to make their own pistols because it would be "manufacturing" - I've been tilting that windmill for four years now. Since the regime change, I'm planning another go at it. But I may have to hire a FFL-01 to put me on their payroll to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post

That's great except your buddy Bruce told Nassau PLB that it's illegal for one of us to make their own pistols because it would be "manufacturing" - I've been tilting that windmill for four years now. Since the regime change, I'm planning another go at it. But I may have to hire a FFL-01 to put me on their payroll to do it.
          I would definitely revisit that with Nassau as there is no law prohibiting us from making a pistol for our own use as long as it meets all legal requirements for ownership.

Comment

By ATF rules you can build up 5 firearms, but you can not sell them, their rules not mine.
            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

By ATF rules you can build up 5 firearms, but you can not sell them, their rules not mine.
              you can't build with the intent of selling them but you can sell them if you get bored of it

Comment

Originally posted by Lostinthewoods View Post

I would definitely revisit that with Nassau as there is no law prohibiting us from making a pistol for our own use as long as it meets all legal requirements for ownership.
                One of the legal requirements of ownership is the registration, and that's where the problem lies. If you make a receiver, you then possess a "firearm" under the law. The only thing they have is a "purchase document". I even offered to Faltings that I would make a new form for them, an "Origination document" with, say, a 30 day window in which to complete a barreled action so it could be registered with its caliber as required under law. In the case of BP guns, you can just walk in there with a gun, so in theory no matter WHAT the PLB said, you could make a BP pistol, register it, then make and register modern cartrdge conversion parts- all of which should be legal and which they would be hard pressed to come up with excuses as to why you could not since you'd already be in legal possession of the parts, however this is a lot of extra work and does not necessarily lend itself to the type of pistol you might want to create.

I could totally use some help/suggestions as to a methodology that would streamline the process, while meeting their bureaucratic requirements, but so far what I have submitted to them has apparently gone into the circular file since I've never even received the courtesy of a reply

When they ask the FFL standing next to you, then tell you it's not legal based on his response in spite of the fact that you have asked them twice to cite the law that prohibits making your own gun, well, you maybe you have do be there to really appreciate how willing they are to deter you the pursuit of your rights as a free citizen.(again- old administration).

Comment

Originally posted by Nthill93 View Post

you can't build with the intent of selling them but you can sell them if you get bored of it
                  AFAIK this is correct. I can also prove, through documentation, that "hand-built" in lieu of "manufacturer" is acceptable for the purposes of registration in NYS. Without naming the individual who created the firearm. I have a hard time imagining selling a hand-build one-off (or even five-off) handgun though, much more work would have gone into it than you could possibly recoup in this era of relatively cheap production guns. But that's just me. I 'm pretty sure I'd never sell any of my hand-build guns.

Comment

Fill out an amendment form ahead of time and walk into the Suffolk PLB with your completed pistol (lower plus parts you bought online) and a 5 dollar check and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by snowblind View Post
                      Fill out an amendment form ahead of time and walk into the Suffolk PLB with your completed pistol (lower plus parts you bought online) and a 5 dollar check and see what happens.
                      SCPD refused to issue me a purchase doc for a stripped receiver. I had an FFL that was willing to sell me a lower as a pistol. We argued for 30 min and they even called NYSP. I don't know what NYSP said but SCPD would not budge. I think if you show up with an 80% lower that was completed in a fixed mag configuration their heads would explode and you would need to make bail.

Comment

Oh man.. my head hurts reading through all of this shit.
                        So glad I left that cesspool.
                        I tried going down the fixed mag AR route when Shitstorm was thinking of doing the fixed mag lower on the Canadian Board..
                        After speaking with SC, I realized it wasn't worth my time or effort..

Comment

Right now, my educated guess is that an AR pistol is good to go as long as you can find a FFL to transfer you a complete one fully assembled with a fixed magazine.

Finding that FFL is a different matter.

​​​​​

Comment

I wrote earlier Suffolk was a no go, why does it keep coming up??? I don't live in Suffolk so I don't care, sorry but that was never the question from the start.
                            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

I wrote earlier Suffolk was a no go, why does it keep coming up??? I don't live in Suffolk so I don't care, sorry but that was never the question from the start.
                              Unconfirmed but it seems likely that Suffolk will allow DSI manufactured fixed mag AR pistol to be added to a license.

Edit: as per DSI, Suffolk not confirmed yet. Nassau is.
                              Last edited by Harmonic; 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

DSI doesn't list them anymore and a phone call was met with a no we don't sell that type of firearm.
                                stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Working...
                                X