Shipping a handgun out of state

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping a handgun out of state

I’m in Suffolk, in the past I was able to ship handguns to out of state FFLs using common carrier (fedex/ups) as per federal law and next day air service (as per carrier regulations). Yes, the guys at PLB were giving me hard time before removing pistols from my license, even calling the out of state dealer on the phone while I was at the window, but at the end of the day they would accept that all was fine and legal. Are there any new rules that prohibit above mentioned handgun shipments? If yes, please point out where those rules are published.

Gee..I thought that pistols had to go FFL to FFL. and you FFL would give you a receipt whereby you could remove it from your license
    A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need advice.

What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
      Gee..I thought that pistols had to go FFL to FFL. and you FFL would give you a receipt whereby you could remove it from your license
      I thought that too, until a local FFL told my brother that he could ship a handgun from NC to here Fed Ex with just a copy of his drivers license. It's a lot easier to get off your license if shipped from a FFL.
      Last edited by Pat M; 12-23-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
        Used to be that you did not need to go FFL to FFL, then (at least in Nassau County) they made it so it must go NYS licensed dealer in firearms to FFL whether in or out of state. They don't want you to have them and make it hard to get a license, then they make it hard and expensive for you to get rid of them as well. Anyway that was in the September 2016 edition of the Nassau County Police Department Pistol License Section Handbook (could they make the name bigger and thus even more so petty bureaucratic please). This year it is the same, again at least in Nassau County, according to the latest edition of the handbook that came out in October 2017. I beg to differ with the law since being certified under LEOSA I could legally carry the weapon to any of all 50 states and transfer it to someone in that state through an FFL if legal within that state (or so the ATF told me). NY may not like it, but it is not a crime and if I were charged I might wind up rich.
        Last edited by Glenn B; 12-23-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post

Used to be that you did not need to go FFL to FFL, then (at least in Nassau County) they made it so it must go NYS licensed dealer in firearms to FFL whether in or out of state. They don't want you to have them and make it hard to get a license, then they make it hard and expensive for you to get rid of them as well. Anyway that was in the September 2016 edition of the Nassau County Police Department Pistol License Section Handbook (could they make the name bigger and thus even more so petty bureaucratic please). This year it is the same, again at least in Nassau County, according to the latest edition of the handbook that came out in October 2017. I beg to differ with the law since being certified under LEOSA I could legally carry the weapon to any of all 50 states and transfer it to someone in that state through an FFL if legal within that state (or so the ATF told me). NY may not like it, but it is not a crime and if I were charged I might wind up rich.
          As always, the Handbook is not in tune with the law
          Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

As always, the Handbook is not in tune with the law
            NO WAY!!!!!!
            Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

The cost of shipping it yourself is so high now that it's now worth doing it. You end up spending as much money or more, plus there's the risk of breaking this week's made up law.

Comment

Dredging up an old thread to ask about sending a handgun out to have work done. The Suffolk handbook mentions sending it yourself to the manufacturer, but what about sending it to a custom shop to have work done? The gunsmith in question says "no problem, it's covered under federal law" but I wonder if our licensing overlords agree.

Comment

I've sent several pistols for custom work, I always sent them myself.

But, it's been a few years.... were I to do it again, I might go through my local FFL. Though that would mean taking it off my license and putting it back on when it returns. It would really depend on what I was having done. depending on who and what, it could be a year or more. I had one revolver that in total, spent about two and a half years in another state. Always in the back of my mind was "what if this guy drops dead, or gets robbed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat M View Post
                    I thought that too, until a local FFL told my brother that he could ship a handgun from NC to here Fed Ex with just a copy of his drivers license. It's a lot easier to get off your license if shipped from a FFL.
                    That information is in direct conflict with the New York State Dealer in Firearms Handbook.

FYI, a handgun dealer in NY must hold and FFL(Federal) and a NYS Dealer's License. We cannot handle any firearms with a NY license.
                    The NYS Dealer must only accept firearms shipped in from another state from a licensed FFL. That's 100% clearly stated in our NYS rulebook.
                    It is not a Federal rule, but it is NY State.

The legality of making up that rule is not part of the question for the dealer. If a dealer accepts a handgun from an individual and gets caught upon inspection, he will have all of his guns in the store seized as his license will be suspended. That, my friends, would not be a good day.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

I’ve sent handguns though FedEx with no issues. Most of the time I’ve worked w an FFL no idea what the rule dejuer is though.

Comment

So can I walk into the UPS distribution center with a boxed up CZ and ship it to Cajun Gun Works, or do I have to have a FFL ship it?

Comment

Working...
                        X