Using air guns in the yard - TOBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Sr. View Post

It's the boys reward after doing some chores around the "ranch" . Heavy blanket 4 times thick with four layers of cardboard. No penetration at all. I'm a pretty stern yard RO and enjoy the boys enjoying what it was like to be a kid back in the day.
    I've been wanting to do this as well. If anything my old lady is the one breaking my balls about doing it with the kids.
    if I were you, I would stick to using pellets. The bb's can bounce around like crazy. Especially if they hit the vynal fence

Comment

Airsoft may be a little safer.

Comment

We used to bring like 20 toy guns to the bus stop before school and play terminator and Rambo 18-20 years ago lol. Airsoft in the backyard as we got older. Times sure have changed. Now you’ll get arrested for making finger guns lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
          Yeah be careful....the DEC used to have a ruling and still might, that if an air gun has over a certain amount of FPS it is considered a firearm
          That would only be relevant if you're hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by raceradam View Post

2” foam insulation won’t stop the ricochets from BBS. They bounce off the plywood and come through the foam right back at you. 6” to 8” of tightly packed cardboard will stop BBS. Back that up with wood and it will stop pellets. When the center is shot out, start again. I have a wooden target box with a slot in the top for sliding in cardboard. The front is cutout and it has screws driven from inside to hold paper targets. I have been using it inside and outside for over a decade.
            2" foam will completely stop BBs. It will not stop pellets, and if the foam is all shot up, BBs may hit the back stop. In that case, if the back stop is plywood, they can ricochet back. A box of rags or a phone book make much better back stops. And replace your foam when it's getting too much like swiss cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by rlitman View Post

That would only be relevant if you're hunting.
              No, the DEC can and has enforced illegal discharge of firearms
              The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

2" foam will completely stop BBs. It will not stop pellets, and if the foam is all shot up, BBs may hit the back stop. In that case, if the back stop is plywood, they can ricochet back. A box of rags or a phone book make much better back stops. And replace your foam when it's getting too much like swiss cheese.
                The suggestion I am countering is the plywood and foam stop someone recommended. I have several Crosman and Daisy CO2 pistols that shoot BBs and I can tell you at a range or 5 to 7 yds a good amount of the BBs ricochet back. Pellets plant themselves in the wood and for the most part do not ricochet. We made a temporary indoor range at work with foam and ply. It was unusable due to the number of ricochets. This is from practical experience not conjecture. Maybe weak ass BB guns will be stopped, but in my experience, 400+ FPS BBs ricochet. If they can pass through the foam to hit the ply and ricochet back, do they not have enough force to pass completely through the foam? Rhetorical question...

Comment

Originally posted by raceradam View Post

The suggestion I am countering is the plywood and foam stop someone recommended. I have several Crosman and Daisy CO2 pistols that shoot BBs and I can tell you at a range or 5 to 7 yds a good amount of the BBs ricochet back. Pellets plant themselves in the wood and for the most part do not ricochet. We made a temporary indoor range at work with foam and ply. It was unusable due to the number of ricochets. This is from practical experience not conjecture. Maybe weak ass BB guns will be stopped, but in my experience, 400+ FPS BBs ricochet. If they can pass through the foam to hit the ply and ricochet back, do they not have enough force to pass completely through the foam? Rhetorical question...
                  Ah, I see where you're going. 400FPS for BBs is just plain nuts, but there are plenty of crappy air "muskets" that will fire either a BB or a pellet at such speeds either using CO2 or multi-pump, while neither of which is really appropriate for a BB. If you're using one of those, then yeah, a different back stop is required, but even then, don't expect 100% ricochet-less performance.

The issue is that BBs bounce VERY easily, whereas pellets are much easier to stop, even though they carry more energy. That's why, once you exceed the spring power of something like a Daisy Red Ryder, BBs no longer make much sense. I guess if you've got good eye protection, a large field with a fence in the middle and a bunch of cans, that might be one use...

Anyway, plywood makes for a crappy back stop all around. As I said, box of rags or phone book. If you want something thinner, carpet remnants work well.

Comment

As I said, box of rags or phone book. If you want something thinner, carpet remnants work well.
                    A phone book. That’s quaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

A phone book. That’s quaint.
                      Ha, fair enough. Pile of newspapers. Box of garage sale paperbacks. Anyway, it gets the point across.

Comment

Might be wiping my ass with some of these backstop recommendations here in a bit.

Paul

Comment

Don't forget this little tid bit. Reckless Endangerment. You may be able to discharge an air gun in you yard as it may not be restricted by current law or code. However, if someone can articulate a course of action that had taken place that would rise to the level of a Reckless Endangerment charge then you may have more to worry about than a town code violation.

120.20 Reckless endangerment in the second degree

A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the second degree when he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person.
                          Reckless endangerment in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

An example : The substantial risk of a BB or pellet to the eye, causing the loss of sight, of a complaining neighbor would be enough.
                          Last edited by Macrosill; 04-06-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HabsFan View Post
                            Hey what about firing cases with no rounds to fire form some brass? Can a person do it in the back yard? asking for a friend...
                            Rather than cycle brass through the action, which may or may not work, I would buy A-Zoom snap caps and use them to dry fire the gun inside the house, in the basement, garage, etc. somewhere where there is no live ammo nearby to avoid ND's. There's a lot of good articles that will walk you through how to do it safely (super important https://revolverguy.com/dry-practice-safety-deep-dive/ for a good overview. Amazing blog by the way), and some good drills/weapons manipulations/drawing from unconventional positions, low light work etc. you could do. That way you get some good practice in, and refresh your skills, and save on ammo
                            Even if you have a huge backyard with privacy fences/trees, it's a risk/benefit question to do so on LI. I personally would not display any firearms or BB guns outside.

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post
                              We used to bring like 20 toy guns to the bus stop before school and play terminator and Rambo 18-20 years ago lol. Airsoft in the backyard as we got older. Times sure have changed. Now you’ll get arrested for making finger guns lol.
                              So true. It was totally acceptable and normal for us kids in suburban LI to use cap guns, and of course airsoft in the backyard after school, read gun books from the library, talk about the military's latest and greatest weapons. Everyone of my friends as a kid wanted to go to a range one day to shoot real guns. If you had a Socom style M4 in airsoft, you were one lucky kid. No one thought of doing anything wrong or hurting anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X