S&W 686

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&W 686

I have a question, is the older - 1983 model S&W 686 better or worse than a newer 2017 model? I know there are a few differences like no lock and the firing pin is on the hammer. Thanks in advance.

Fit and finish on the older guns is head-and-shoulders above the new ones.

Comment

Guns and Republicans = older is better

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
        Guns and Republicans = older is better
        And bourbon

Comment

I have Smith and Wesson’s from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s. Fit and finish is much better in the 70’s -80’s than the newer models.

Comment

Plus the older ones are always six-shooters. I had to specially order mine because they all held seven.

Comment

I have a newer one and it’s perfect..........except for that damn Hillary hole!

Comment

I have a newer one and love it. Zero issues but if there was an older one available at the time I purchased it, I would have went with the older one.

Comment

Do you have one or are you looking to buy one?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                    Do you have one or are you looking to buy one?
                    Looking to buy one. I was shooting my BILs out in the Vegas desert 2 weeks ago and really liked it. His was a newer one and was just searching for one and seen used ones were 6 shooters and had the firing pin on the hammer and liked that. You selling?

Comment

I do have one, but am definitely not selling it! Mine is of the newer variety (separate hammer & firing pin, I think circa ~1990), but still shoots great. Whether you find an older or newer, you will enjoy it; they are (used) floating around LGS's.
                      Attached Files

Comment

They did make a 7 shot 686 pre lock. I'd look for an older one preferably.

Comment

I have a new 686+ 4" that seems well made to me. That said, I would have bought an older one were it available when I was shopping.

Ryan

Comment

I found one on Gunbroker I purchased and going to have it shipped to Jerry. The Serial # AAJ0XXX I read there is a Smith & Wesson book that can help date the guns. Does anyone have the book or know about these that could help me out dating it? I was told it was not fired much, the pictures were not the greatest but it does look good from what I can see,

Last edited by V-Twin; 02-27-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Very nice; you will certainly be happy with that purchase!

Comment

Working...
                              X