First Revolver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post
    First revolvers have a way of disrupting your life.
    Don't worry, you can quit anytime....

So says the enabler. lol

Comment

You said you have a 686 no dash ? That’s before the MIM change. I’m pretty sure you have a case colored trigger and hammer too. You can replace them of coarse.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

I want it to look like the 66.
        Model 19's and the stainless version 66's are my carry favorite revolvers (although the Kimber may have surpassed them).
        The older 3" 66 is the pinnacle. There's the 2.5" and 2.75" also, but the 3" is pretty rare.
        (internet photos)

Model 19 in 4" round butt (FBI gun)

Last edited by Dan 0351; 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM.
        No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Like others have posted (from Wiki):

Dash numbers
          • 686 no dash, 1981 Introduction model
          • 686-1, 1986 radius stud package, floating hand
          • 686-2, 1987 changed hammer nose, bushing and associated parts
          • 686-3, 1988 new yoke retention system
          • 686-4, 1993 change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, change extractor, Hogue grips
          • 686-5, 1997 change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, MIM hammer and trigger, change internal lock.
          • 686-6, 2001 internal lock
          • 686-7, 2003 Performance Center .38 Super, 6-Shot unfluted cylinder, 4" barrel, Stainless Steel, 250 Made
          other than the 3" which ones do you prefer....either performance wise or value?
          "If you know how many guns you own,”you don’t have enough guns.”

"What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt."

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post

other than the 3" which ones do you prefer....either performance wise or value?
            In K-frame 19/66's?
            The 4" is the most common, therefore usually the best value. IMO, the 4" is also a great all-around length for a range/woods/home defense gun - but a bit big for concealed carry.
            The old 2.5" will run you as much as a brand new 2.75 and a used 3" can run you $1500+.

I'd like a 4" round butt to add to my 66 collection.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
              You said you have a 686 no dash ? That’s before the MIM change. I’m pretty sure you have a case colored trigger and hammer too. You can replace them of coarse.
              The OP has a no dash; I have a -6.

I might replace it if I can find one cheap. Maybe the hammer too if it's noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Model 19's and the stainless version 66's are my carry favorite revolvers (although the Kimber may have surpassed them).
                The older 3" 66 is the pinnacle. There's the 2.5" and 2.75" also, but the 3" is pretty rare.
                (internet photos)

Model 19 in 4" round butt (FBI gun)

I do like that 3" with the beveled underlug.

In your pictures too, there's the issue. Why is the trigger so shiny in the first two and so mottled in third?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthShoreShooter View Post
                  Got this on New Years Eve after doing the transfer the day before at Long Island Outdoorsman.
                  Smith &Wesson 686 no dash
                  I realized I really hijacked the OP's thread, so here is his original post again.

(His trigger and hammer are nice and shiny.)

Comment

In your pictures too, there's the issue. Why is the trigger so shiny in the first two and so mottled in third?
                    Case Colored. I can’t tell you why but that’s the reason..

Comment

Lol

- U.S. Marines

Comment

IMG_20190109_0110077.jpgIMG_20190109_0110517.jpg

Case Colored. I can’t tell you why but that’s the reason..
                        Maybe they put the wrong trigger on mine?

Comment

That does not look case colored. However, with the light shining on it ,the revolver appears to have a lot of scratch marks ,or swirls in the metal.do you have access to a polishing wheel and rouse.(sp) I would polish the gun out, it may have been case colored and someone put something on it? A guy like Bruce who does finishing might know.
                          there is a Smith and Wesson forum .Ill post the link . Join up ask questions there, but it’s very formal group, no cursing or they are a different type of forum.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

Comment

That does not look case colored. However, with the light shining on it ,the revolver appears to have a lot of scratch marks ,or swirls in the metal.do you have access to a polishing wheel and rouse.(sp) I would polish the gun out, it may have been case colored and someone put something on it? A guy like Bruce who does finishing might know.
                            there is a Smith and Wesson forum .Ill post the link . Join up ask questions there, but it’s very formal group, no cursing or they are a different type of forum.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php
                            The trigger's definitely duller than the frame of the gun, and it is not a uniform dullness.

I'm pretty sure those swirls have been there since I bought it. I've never polished it, I've cleaned it with Hoppes #9 solvent and a soft cotton rag, and it's never been carried in a holster or anything rough.

I bought it new from a gun store, and it wasn't a display model - they had to order one for me because I wanted a six-shot.I

Thanks for the link.
                            Last edited by Range Time; 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The trigger's definitely duller than the frame of the gun, and it is not a uniform dullness.

I'm pretty sure those swirls have been there since I bought it. I've never polished it, I've cleaned it with Hoppes #9 solvent and a soft cotton rag, and it's never been carried in a holster or anything rough.

I bought it new from a gun store, and it wasn't a display model - they had to order one for me because I wanted a six-shot.I

Thanks for the link.
                              That’s a new gun?? Look I am seeing a picture on the internet but ask other members if they think those swirl marks are normal . I would not have accepted that ,maybe it looks normal in person but a good look at that pix shows a mess of swirl marks.

Comment

That’s a new gun?? Look I am seeing a picture on the internet but ask other members if they think those swirl marks are normal . I would not have accepted that ,maybe it looks normal in person but a good look at that pix shows a mess of swirl marks.
                                Well, it was new when I bought it years ago, unless the shop did something shady, which I doubt. The swirls are uniform, so I just figured that's how stainless looks. All my other guns at the time were blued.

They cover the entire gun in uniform patterns. They are not as pronounced as they seem in the picture, but they are clearly there.

Comment

Working...
                                X