My father's old Idaho State Police revolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father's old Idaho State Police revolver

Here is the Smith & Wesson Model 65 (357 Magnum) that dad actually carried from 1979 - 1991 (when ISP switched to the S&W Model 4586 pistol). This and his Colt Commander were the first handguns that I started out with back in 1980 when I was just twelve years old. Whne ISP switched to semi-autos the troopers were able to purchase the Model 65 for $100 . Dad never hesitated and plunked the money down. After he passed I went around the house gathering up his guns (I'm an only child and his collection went to me at mom's insistence) and I found the 65 in his nightstand. It was loaded with the Winchester 110 grain SJHP 38 Special +P+. It might have been retired, but it hadn't been put out to pasture. It was a worker bee. I've fired it several times since dad's passing. Mostly 38 Special with some 158 grain 357 Magnum SJSP mixed in. It's meant to be used. Also a keeper. How could it not be?

Awesome. The Model 13/65's and 19/66's are my favorite all-around revolvers.
    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Very nice ,sorry to hear he is not with us. I sure miss mine.

Comment

Pinned barrel S&W in .357, we could have stopped designing firearms right then and there and nobody be complaining.
        LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

While buying a factory new gun is fun, a used gun with a good history behind it are evn better for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
            While buying a factory new gun is fun, a used gun with a good history behind it are evn better for some reason.
            There is something about the old ones that make my imagination get going.

Comment

That's a thing of beauty - the gun and the fact that it was carried by your dad.

I'm not rushing it, but one day I hope one of my kids treasures mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
                That's a thing of beauty - the gun and the fact that it was carried by your dad.

I'm not rushing it, but one day I hope one of my kids treasures mine.
                Yup, that's awesome that you have it. I have my Dad's old carry gun, a Colt Police Positive that came into the shop as a .32 S&W and he converted it to 38
                Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Yup, that's awesome that you have it. I have my Dad's old carry gun, a Colt Police Positive that came into the shop as a .32 S&W and he converted it to 38
                  I have my Pop's old Detective Special. He got involved in a close-range shooting with it in Brooklyn with a man with a meat cleaver. After that one he decided to get a 4" Python (.38 ammo only authorized) because after the shooting, the angry crowd of Brooklyn North locals were surrounding him and his partner (and the wounded perp), and pointing the little Det. Special didn't really dissuade them, As I've mentioned before, he later used that Python, also in Brooklyn, to stop a man shooting at others, with a hit from 72' feet (they sent him to the FBI firearms Instructor School after that). Good ole' Mayor Koch put medals around his neck, several years apart, for both of those incidents. Pop gave me the Python a few years back for my birthday. He gave my oldest brother the Det. Special, who carried it for years then later gave it to me. His son, also a cop, will now get it from me.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I have my Pop's old Detective Special. He got involved in a close-range shooting with it in Brooklyn with a man with a meat cleaver. After that one he decided to get a 4" Python (.38 ammo only authorized) because after the shooting, the angry crowd of Brooklyn North locals were surrounding him and his partner (and the wounded perp), and pointing the little Det. Special didn't really dissuade them, As I've mentioned before, he later used that Python, also in Brooklyn, to stop a man shooting at others, with a hit from 72' feet (they sent him to the FBI firearms Instructor School after that). Good ole' Mayor Koch put medals around his neck, several years apart, for both of those incidents. Pop gave me the Python a few years back for my birthday. He gave my oldest brother the Det. Special, who carried it for years then later gave it to me. His son, also a cop, will now get it from me.
                    Dad fired the Model 65 once in the line of duty. In 1980 he had a short pursuit that ended with the suspect going off the road and into a field. It was about 2:00 A.M. and very dark. It was a rural area, no street lights and no moon. Anyway the suspect jumped out and fired off a couple 12 gauge shells in the general direction of dad's car (which had the overhead lights going and made a nice target). He missed and dad ripped off four shots before really thinking about it. He hit the guy in one of his shinbones (ouch) breaking it. Needless to say that was the end of the fight. The suspect surrendered and preceded to whine to dad about how he had busted his leg. Back then it took awhile for medics to get out to many of the rural areas (dad administered first aid) and dad was really tempted to shoot him again just to shut him up. He never fired another shot in the line of duty (except for training and qualification) for the remainder of his career.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                        Awesome. The Model 13/65's and 19/66's are my favorite all-around revolvers.
                        My favorite handgun hands down is the 3 inch Smith model 13 I have

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

I want one. Right now all I own in three inch revolvers is a Ruger GP100 3".

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

Been looking for that "FBI gun" for a long time - very pricey. Post pics!

If the 13/65 and 19/66 are my favorite revolvers - the 3" versions are my favorite of those. With the rare 3" 66 my pinnacle.

Here most of my 3" 65's and 66's, and a couple 2 1/4" thrown in. I do have another 3" 66 somewhere, acquired after this photo. These are in Model order, but I have a couple of 19's floating around also.

20170714_120600.jpg

- U.S. Marines

Comment

The only 3" revolver that I currently own next to it's bigger brother.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X