S&W 617. 22lr revolver info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&W 617. 22lr revolver info

thinking of getting an S&W 617. Beautiful looking gun.
    Looking for feedback from anyone who has one or has used one.
    I have seen very good and very bad reviews.
    4 in vs. 6 in?
    Any help appreciated.
    Give peace a chance, I'll cover you in case that doesn't work out.

LIBERALISM should be classified as a MENTAL DISORDER!

I have the 4in model, bought it as a companion to my 686. Its a tack driver but the trigger on mine was initially horrible. It has gotten better with time and use but its no where near as nice as my 686. I also dry fired the snot out of it too(used snap caps). I don't think you can go wrong

Comment

I have a 6" with the 10 shot cylinder.

I like it quite a bit.

I have shot older ones and felt they were smoother. That being said it's a great revolver.

When I measured trigger pull double action it was 11 lbs, and not as smooth as my old colt trooper.

single action came in at 3 lbs 12 oz.
      High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

I’ve seen in some videos that it is iffy with some types of ammo. Cylinder lockup. Trigger lockup. Looked like bulged cases. Anything to it?
        Give peace a chance, I'll cover you in case that doesn't work out.

LIBERALISM should be classified as a MENTAL DISORDER!

Comment

I have both 4" & 6" prefer the 4", both can out shoot my eyes, speed beez.con has speed loaders etc. Buy either one you'll be happy.
          stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

I have the 4 inch version as well. One of my favorites in my modest collection. Fantastic gun just when using bulk ammo she will get dirty fast! Then cases will get stuck! Not a deal breaker just something to keep an eye on. Best part is its not finicky with ammo shoots everythjng!

Comment

I have a 4” 617. I love it. I’ve never had any problems with it. I recommend the 4” over the 6” but you can’t go wrong with either.

Comment

I have the 4" barrel version. Love it, shoots anything but I don' have as many rounds through as most others. Maybe a few or four trips to the range. And I mostly use CCI.

Comment

I'm gonna have to dig mine out now...

Comment

I had the 4" version. I had a problem with casings getting stuck fairly quickly.
                    After about 20 or 30 rounds the spent casings had trouble ejecting, and the new casings required extra effort to load. It's a common enough problem to merit discussion on the Smith & Wesson forums. Some suggested using sandpaper on a rotary tool to the inside of the cylinders. I decided to trade mine in.

With that said, it was a fun gun to shoot, so if you like it and are prepared to deal with the fouling issue it might be right for you.

Comment

I have one. It was nightmare out of the box. Had to go back to Smith. Poor hammer strikes 5 out of 10 times, rounds stuck in cylinders etc. Came back better. They replaced hammer, springs, cylinder.

It’s fun to play with but that’s about it. I hope you have better experience than I did.
                      NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
                      NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

Comment

Sorry, I know you asked about the S&W, but I will do what we often do here and kinda' "bend" the thread a bit - it might help someone else reading it and wanting a .22 revolver and not specifically a S&W.

Seems the 617 can be hit or miss, so for the money, have you considered a different company? I usually don't recommend 'lesser' gun companies, but for a .22 revolver plinker, I will. I have a 9-shot Taurus 94 and it's awesome for what it is. I bought it 15 years ago from a retiring co-worker and after a while, I had a problem with it indexing that I couldn't fix. I sent it back to Taurus and got it back pretty fast, fixed, no charge.

Taurus 94.JPG

"The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

I've become interested in older S&Ws lately, picking up a Model 10 and a Model 15. I'd consider an excellent condition older model. About a year ago LI Ammo had a couple of beautiful 6" Model 17s.

Comment

10 years ago revolvers were supposedly on their way out and nice used smiths were cheap and plentiful ,now try finding a prelock anything and it becomes a bidding war at least on gunbroker. I'm looking for a used mdl 29 and everything is well north of 1k. You might be better off with something new. At least you have a warranty.

Comment

Working...
                            X