Brookhaven - Friday morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brookhaven - Friday morning

Had a blast shooting with pandm today. Fun as always Joe.
    Also a great chat with a couple of other folks.

The RPR was good although I really wanted to spend more time with my Yugo Mauser (8mm), iron sights at 100yards.

I could barely see the target, my eyes just could hold something that small in focus. Not sure what to do about that.

I'm holding at 6'oclock. Pic below. Windage a little off. Rear sight won't go any lower. Doesn't the mauser have a minimum 200 meter default?

School me, any tips for a newish shooter?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Doh, picture seems to be rotated 90 degrees. You get the idea.
    NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

I was there this morning too. Nice day. Weather was excellent.

Comment

Were you on the 100 yard line? Dang, if I'd known I'd have said hello.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post

School me, any tips for a newish shooter?

Try using a different target, one with a bigger bull. I would suggest at least 8 inches of solid black.

Your never going to be able to see the target clearly when you have a sight picture. It's just not how our eyes work.

Focus on the front sight. The target and rear sight will be fuzzy. Zero for a six o'clock hold.

As Appleseed instructors are wont to say: "Shoot the fuzz; hit the fuzz."

Comment

Being in my mid 50's Mauser style iron sights are just about useless to me. They were designed for much younger eyes! I had my Yugo at the range a few weeks ago and the best I distance could hope to shoot was 50 yards. That was when I decided to go with a no gunsmith scout style mount which replaces the rear sight and a pistol scope. Fairly easy to install but as of yet I haven't used it so no report on effectiveness. I can only assume after a few rounds at 50 for a quick sight in after a boresighting I will be off to 100. The minimum sighting distance will be based on the height of the front sight. My Yugo was on with a 6 o'clock hold at 50 yards and was damn accurate considering I really couldn't see the target clearly.

Comment

Working...
            X