My new plinker by Vestals custom rifles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new plinker by Vestals custom rifles

I won’t have a chance to shoot it for a few months but that’s fine because I’m still waiting on the scope. Will be an IOR in an Ivey mount. This action is a no neck turn chamber which is a bit deceiving because as Mr Vestal explained, the best way to run the brass in this particular chamber is to turn the neck but only to remove high spots if any are present. Basically you should end up with an ugly neck because it will only be shaved to achieve uniformity not completely turned down. Ugly but absolutely straight. The other option is a neck turn chamber but I didn’t like the idea of that because brass life is severely compromised when running hot. This is a single shot for 2 reasons. First I want no compromise with regard to accuracy. Second, there are no magazines that will allow a 400 grain flatline to be loaded at the length I want. I’m going to do load dev. With 400 grain or equivalent bullets by Warner and cutting edge. Brass will be exclusively Peterson. Primers 215m and powder will start by working with H50bmg. All subject to change. Expecting 2,900+ FPS.
    i almost forgot! Rifle specs.
    stiller 1.6”
    36” Bartlein
    Mirage ULR chassis
    TriggerTech diamond 4oz-32oz set at 16oz for break in then we will see.. would like to keep it at 8oz but I have to get comfy on it and then who knows. Whatever feels right and delivers results.
    the bipod in the pic is not mine. I am going with either an LRA or Atlas 5H on a bipod EXT.

Very nice.

Comment

I won’t pretend I understood half of that - but sweet rifle. Looks awesome, use it in good health.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

"Plinker"?

What are you plinking, running truck engines at 1,000 yards?

That thing is sweet
          A sunny day
          A shotgun and a Chevrolet
          Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

that thing is a work of art. what are you thinking, 300 yrds easily right???

Comment

legitimate question now, why .375 over the .408?

Comment

Working...
              X