Educate Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate Me

Saw the post on the 22s. Those are some nice looking guns. I’ve never played with any bolt actions. Don’t own any. Can someone educate me on why one would want a bolt action. What is the “benefit” or desire ability in a bolt gun? I always viewed them as a pain in the ass. Kind of like driving a manual when I can drive an automatic. But that’s my uninformed opinion and I’m open to having my opinion changed.

Accuracy, simplicity and history.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I am not a rifle guy, and I only have two bolt-action rifles, but here's my take:

Most old rifles are bolt-action. You want an old gun, you will be getting a bolt-action.
      Bolt-action is slightly more accurate. You want to shoot precision, you will be getting a bolt-action.
      Bolt-action guns are not regulated by the SAFE Act. You want freedom to accessorize, you will have zero worries with a bolt-action.
      Youths and new shooters should start out on single-shot or bolt-action shotguns and rifles. Much less to learn and much less to worry about.
      You will never shoot as much ammo with a bolt-action as with a semi-auto. Ammo is expensive. You'll make every shot count.
      It's kind of fun to work the bolt if it's smooth and you're not in a hurry. Think pump-action versus semi-auto.

That's all I have, but maybe there are other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post
        Saw the post on the 22s. Those are some nice looking guns. I’ve never played with any bolt actions. Don’t own any. Can someone educate me on why one would want a bolt action. What is the “benefit” or desire ability in a bolt gun? I always viewed them as a pain in the ass. Kind of like driving a manual when I can drive an automatic. But that’s my uninformed opinion and I’m open to having my opinion changed.
        Anyone man that can't drive a manual should hand in his man card.
        "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

Anyone man that can't drive a manual should hand in his man card.
          That was true once. It no longer is. I drive seven vehicles on a regular basis. None of them are manual.

Unless you are a trucker, a high-end sports car driver (maybe), a machinery operator, or an owner of a classic car, or a survivalist with a car with a carburator, there is really no reason to learn how to work a stick-shift.

It is still cool if you can jump in to one of those situations and function smoothly, but it's not really indicative of being a man or not, any more than knowing how to farm.
          Last edited by Range Time; 09-15-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Here's a good starter article on SOFREP written by an Army Ranger Master Sniper/Reaper.

Sniper’s Choice | Bolt-action vs. Semi-auto precision rifles

https://sofrep.com/gear/snipers-choi...cision-rifles/

Here is another: 4 reasons you need a bolt action rifle:

https://www.range365.com/5-reasons-y...-action-rifle/

Bolt actions are generally more precise (due to one form of movement/recoil), simplicity in action leads to less failure.Bolt action precision rifles can be chambered (with more exacting tolerances) in a wide range of calibers. Also I've shot my 300BK suppressed in a free state. The bolt action is whisper quiet. Also while modern versions are creeping in, there's a reason most precision and sniper rifles by the most noted marksmen and snipers were bolt action.

Precision long distance shooting can be a rush. Can't really do it downstate but upstate it's a blast being able to pick off a can from a few hundred yards. It can also be very pricey. Some of those scopes you saw can run a few grand each, and learning to adjust for bullet drop compensation, windage, etc. is a science, man, but that's where the skill and challenge come in.
            Last edited by Destro; 09-15-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I think everything you need to know is in Destro 's post; great article too.. Precision long range shooting is very challenging and far more rewarding than just shooting at paper at 100/200 yards. Unfortunately, there aren't really any local options but there is the Ghost Firearms Training course that "the bearded one" runs and that I would highly recommend and have taken twice. I have since made an annual trip to South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs which is essentially long-range whack-a-mole with guns. That is more fun than us mere humans should be allowed to have.

Comment

fewer parts to break on a bolt action. less to go wrong.

lots of those old target bolt action rifles you saw were for prone/position/olympic style shooting. for sure one shot at a time work where you're not worried. the Anschutz is a single shot.
                High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Also here's a video (hard embedded in the webpage) of "The Reaper" Nick Irving breaking down a bunch of movie scenes featuring snipers and how accurate they are. Again, check out his article up the thread for some good breakdown of pros/cons of bolt action for precision shooting.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/lifestyle/...es/vi-BB17REm2

57e48a224320b710519c6b38d835c34c.jpg

Comment

Simple - they are fun

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

That was true once. It no longer is. I drive seven vehicles on a regular basis. None of them are manual.

Unless you are a trucker, a high-end sports car driver (maybe), a machinery operator, or an owner of a classic car, or a survivalist with a car with a carburator, there is really no reason to learn how to work a stick-shift.

It is still cool if you can jump in to one of those situations and function smoothly, but it's not really indicative of being a man or not, any more than knowing how to farm.
                      I stand by my statement.If you can't drive a stick ( not don't, can't) turn in your man card.
                      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I had a 2008 Civic which was a fantastic car. I traded it in for a 2009 Hyundai Accent because I wanted to drive stick again. I will never not have a manual shift car in my world. And I love bolt action rifles and manual wind watches.

Comment

Manual is fun. And after you do it for about 2 months you don’t even have to think about it. My last car (16 jetta) was a manual and my current (18 civic si) only comes in manual. You are more in tune with the machine, and women think it’s cool. I’m only considering going back to automatic because I have a new commute that would be annoying with traffic.

A bolt action is fun in a different way than a semi auto is fun. You’re more honed in to each shot, cycling the action puts you more in tune with the tool you are using (like a manual), and you use way less ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post
                            Also here's a video (hard embedded in the webpage) of "The Reaper" Nick Irving breaking down a bunch of movie scenes featuring snipers and how accurate they are. Again, check out his article up the thread for some good breakdown of pros/cons of bolt action for precision shooting.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/lifestyle/...es/vi-BB17REm2

57e48a224320b710519c6b38d835c34c.jpg
                            I will always question a "viable source" of information that has "MSN" in it....

Comment

It's like learning Latin to better understand French and Spanish, it gives you a background that enhances your understanding.
                              Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Working...
                              X